Dews quilt

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great job on both, Dew! I love the adorable owls. I've seen some baby quilts going for about $40, but that one is extra cute. I think you could definitely ask $50 or more. The owls are very popular right now too.

I tried my hand at quilting and managed one very sad pillow cover. I am usually a very detail oriented person, but I had a lot of trouble getting things to line up right. You make it look easy!

They make such wonderful heirlooms and seem to hold up better to regular use than most yarn work. I have two quilts made by my great-great-grandmother and they still look like new. I had DH buy me a wall quilt rack for Christmas just so I could display them. My GGGM made 100's of them in her lifetime, enough for all of the kids and their kids way on down the line to have one. :)

Love your new avatar too. You are a beautiful lady! I'm sure Monty knows how lucky he is. ;)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just curious, Dew, what kind of machine did you get? I'm thinking it must be a lot more magical than my Singer. Actually, I was a better seamstress 50 years ago than I am now. How depressing!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Journey, thank you so much. That pic is 3 years old! My best friend is a photographer and she took that at a wedding! I was minding my own business and she called my name, and that's what she got. :D
I'm still learning!!! I got very frustrated with the first quilt.... that's what I get for jumping in with both feet not knowing a thing!

So lucky, Monty bought me a brother limited edition Brother project run way. After I made a pillow case, I decided I didnt want to make anymore and went all out. LOL I like my sewing machine, but believe it's going to be a little more expensive than my crocheting hobby!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rule of thumb for handcrafted items. 3 times the cost of materials. Unless it is very labor intensive, Then add some for you time. I think $50 sounds very fair. The baby quilt is ADORABLE and would have been perfect for the baby shower I will be attending next weekend. But, alas, I took the easy way out and tied a fleece blanket instead.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMGOsh, it's beautiful!! My quilting experience had me using every embroidery stitch on my Singer HD machine!!
It's REALLY HARD to match up squares like that--you did a masterful job!!
Btw, if you have the $, they make machines that thread themselves AND finish seams and cut for you. Just find "Sewing with Nancy" on PBS and drool over those and the embroidery machines that cost as much as a mid-sized car!! My youngest DD works at JoAnne Fabrics and knows what EVERYTHING costs!!!
Dews, keep enjoying your machine. I own three regular machines plus a simple serger that I STILL can't figure out how to thread! :th

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just figured out my cost for 2 baby quilts.... 81 bucks. (not counting my coupons I use :D) I was thinking around 50 - 60 bucks because of materials. How many of you would pay that for a quilt???

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Etsy is getting to be more like "designer" stuff. My daughter who is into design has bought some wall lamps and pillows for her home.

I think for one of a kind, you may find buyers.

Mary

Latest posts