Dews quilt

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's about how I try to price my items, @Carol Dee. I enjoy sewing, but I try to place a value that's fair enough for me to want to continue making them. The bigger challenge is keeping your costs down these days.

@dewdropsinwv ... around here you would not find a handmade quilt for under $50... at $60 it would sell quickly. I craft show a LOT and sell quite a bit. If it's something popular and in demand, it seems like a lot of people don't even look at the price. I am frugal and do not shop that way, but I know the value of handcrafted items, and I would pay $60. It is very adorable!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just figured out my cost for 2 baby quilts.... 81 bucks. (not counting my coupons I use :D) I was thinking around 50 - 60 bucks because of materials. How many of you would pay that for a quilt???
I will assume that the patchwork quilt has more fabric so it cost more to make. Maybe the bigger quilt alone was near $50 and the printed crib quilt at $30... even a 50/50 spilt puts $40 in materials. That leaves no mark up and only $10 for your labor. Your many hours of work. Don't underprice yourself. You are doing a great job with those quilts and hopefully people wanting them will appreciate the workmanship and quality. (And be willing to pay what they are really worth.) Good Luck and most of all have FUN. :)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok ladies, I need some advice!!!! I have two people wanting baby quilts like this one. What would you charge for one?
:lol: I wish!!!! I'm thinking around 50 bucks . :hu I dont mind making things for people but I hate to over charge too. I want return customers.
You have to value your time more than that. $50 would barely cover the materials. And it will not be as fun making the same thing again and again. My brother was a home remodeler and could not keep up with his customers. He raised his prices and did get less work. But he said making 10 dimes was the same as 4 quarters. $200 would still be too little.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have to value your time more than that. $50 would barely cover the materials. And it will not be as fun making the same thing again and again. My brother was a home remodeler and could not keep up with his customers. He raised his prices and did get less work. But he said making 10 dimes was the same as 4 quarters. $200 would still be too little.

See Dew? $1000 bucks is right in the ball park!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going mark them at 60 bucks and see how that goes. I wish I could get enough product to put a booth in one of the local festivals or craft shows around here. I think I would do pretty good. My only problem right now is storage space.

He knows a good thing when he sees it !!!! LOL

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm going mark them at 60 bucks and see how that goes. I wish I could get enough product to put a booth in one of the local festivals or craft shows around here. I think I would do pretty good. My only problem right now is storage space.
Be careful... I have a 14' enclosed craft trailer to get my stuff to the shows. :hide
It is really fun though. DH enjoys it too. It takes a while to build inventory though, I've been doing it for about 16 years. If you know someone else that crafts you could split a booth.

I had the problem with storage also. Our house is not real big and no basement. When our last son moved out 7 years ago, that room was painted and turned into a sewing room in 48 hours! :D

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When my oldest daughter moved out last october I was using her room as a craft/storage room... she moved back home before Christmas. In my other house I have a spare room I will probably turn into a sewing room! :D

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful quilt work, Dew!

I like the 3 times the cost of material pricing since you will most likely never sell a quilt for what it is really worth if you include your time and creative talent.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red, I have sold some of my crochet work, but not many people have bought lately. I have tried to sell on etsy,but I was paying to list stuff with no sales. I gave it up.

Latest posts