Dews quilt

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Well, looks like we will become grandparents in 2015. Dews, any advice on making a rocking horse quilt? My neighbor's son is turning two on Saturday, and they have told me that the infant blankets that you buy are too small. I need dimensions, and, if you have a pattern to share that would be great, too!! I want to make a center block with a rocking horse and muted, pastel background, and then surround it with square blocks. I will use 100% cotton, wash/shrink it before we sew---it's gonna be a weekend, 3 DD and me project--and I bought 1/2 bolt of cotton batting last year.
ANYBODY with advice, please comment and suggest! Thanks!! :love

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't have any helpful suggestions; I just started on my own first baby quilt this week. Actually, I was experimenting with some half square triangle quilt pieces, and liked the two I put together, so decided to go ahead and make four more for a baby quilt. There are lots of good blogs and tutorials on you-tube and Pinterest. I got hooked on watching all the tutes on Missouri Star Quilt Company. Pretty inspiring. And fun to watch.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you @Smart Red. Like I said I have more to post.

@so lucky I just LOVE to watch Missouri Star Quilt company on you tube! She is awesome. I'm going to try making the pillow cases she showed. I have a few idea's for making new Christmas stockings this year also! I think they will be cute! And I will post pictures of those also.

@ducks4you I do not have any patterns. The quilt I made my grand daughter was already measured out and I just outlined the animals and added the batting and border.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you @Smart Red. Like I said I have more to post.

@so lucky I just LOVE to watch Missouri Star Quilt company on you tube! She is awesome. I'm going to try making the pillow cases she showed. I have a few idea's for making new Christmas stockings this year also! I think they will be cute! And I will post pictures of those also.

@ducks4you I do not have any patterns. The quilt I made my grand daughter was already measured out and I just outlined the animals and added the batting and border.
Dew, if the pillowcases you are talking about are the "burrito" pillow cases, you are going to love making them. I have made a lot of them, and it always amazes me that they look so impossible. Of course, you need to make sure you put the fabric down correctly. ( I had to rip out one.) And there are some directions on you-tube that are incorrect! :mad:

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm sure other directions on you tube will mess you up on those pillow cases. I'm going to make a few for Christmas and see how they turn out. :D I have to do a lot of ripping out, because I dont pay attention to how I place my material... :/

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I watched a quilting program recently and before this quilter starting stitching she ironed the panel flat and held it and the other layers together with quilter's safety pins. I made 3 quilts a year ago. I had bought 6 yards of fleece that looked like a candy striped Hudson Bay Blanket. Didn't have a plan for it, but cleaning out my linen closet I noticed that I owned several old, but nice cotton blankets that must have been meant for a child's bed. None were long enough to tuck in to a twin bed mattress, so they sat there, unused. They were all 6 foot long. So I took the yellow one, made a pillow case out of it, turned it inside out, finished the open end, and then stitched it together with the fleece along the lines of the stripes. I finished it by whip stitching red yarn at the ends. EVERYBODY uses it bc it's over 4 ft wide and 6 ft long, the perfect size throw when it's chilly. Right now the cat's laying on it.
Size is EVERYTHING.
If anybody would like to share any quilting tips, I am ready to hear them. :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been taking daylilies to Farmer's Markets where there is a fe for the space. The venues all carry liability insurance and anyone selling prepared food has to have a permit. The same for meats, etc.

Latest posts