Dews quilt

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hate to add this, but when you offer to sell these items, do any of you carry liability insurance ? I say this as my wife participated at a twice a year "Creators' Sale " sponsored by the City. Someone sued one of the hobby creator participant, so the organizers were forced to require the participants to buy a liability insurance policy. My wife sold all manner of baked and canned goods as well as her knit baby sweaters, hats , blankets, etc.. She always sold out and made a small profit. With the insurance costs, she would be in a rather LARGE LOSS situation, so she stopped this venture.

I think what Bob forgot to add was that this probably happened in California...Litigation Central.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think what Bob forgot to add was that this probably happened in California...Litigation Central.

'Sponsored by the city' could be an issue. I have done some community work with our city and planning events always involved the discussion of liability waivers and legal issues. Earth Day road clean-up got interesting. :rolleyes: But I know they have to protect the city from lawsuits.

Craft fairs around here are HUGE. Every school, church, community center ... they are big fundraisers and attendance is fantastic, unless there's a blizzard. I have never heard of a crafter being sued, but I suppose it can happen.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lavender, me too! (If we are calling the bears the same thing. Made from old clothing, quilts, etc... from beloved family members.) I just delivered 2 for a friend from some of his Mom's clothing. Always busy between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And no I do not ask enough for them. ;) Another thing I never earn much for the hours put in are the chair seats I cane! I think those fish hats are kinda scary weird and so does our dog! He barks hystericaly when anyone puts one on. :hu No other hats bother him?!?!
Carol here in NY it is a small fortune to have a chair seat caned. I thought I had a great find at a yard sale, a stickey chair for $10. When I picked it up from being recaned I almost passed out at the bill.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol here in NY it is a small fortune to have a chair seat caned. I thought I had a great find at a yard sale, a stickey chair for $10. When I picked it up from being recaned I almost passed out at the bill.

I am going to make you wish you had shipped it to me.o_O LOL Was it pressed cane or strand cane? I know I should up my prices again, It has been many years. But I do most of my chairs for friends, extended family and by word of mouth. No advertising. I DO NOT want to do it full time. Do you mind if I ask the going prices there? How much pr. sq. inch for pressed and how much per hole for strand?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
'Sponsored by the city' could be an issue. I have done some community work with our city and planning events always involved the discussion of liability waivers and legal issues. Earth Day road clean-up got interesting. :rolleyes: But I know they have to protect the city from lawsuits.

Craft fairs around here are HUGE. Every school, church, community center ... they are big fundraisers and attendance is fantastic, unless there's a blizzard. I have never heard of a crafter being sued, but I suppose it can happen.
This craft sale was in "the democratic peoples republic of Davis, Cal. " ( we used to live there ) that was being held at a city owned hall for many years before the law suit against an artist whose metal work of art inflicted ( as in a piece of metal attacked the buyer) a rather bad cut on a sharp edge to the buyer. The city charged $ 25 booth ( table top ) fee for space rental and the crafter had to sign a release of liability form. My wife made between $400-$600 dollars profit from her sales, but when she had to buy the liability insurance with a premium of $800 per year...any profit was GONE !!!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol was a little over $400 not sure how many holes. Wasn't sheet of cane , all done by hand. PS. He was very busy I had to wait a long time for it to be done.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
California's population has grown by 87% since about the time I moved away in the late 1960's. It will double soon.

Davis' population has grown by 179% in that same period of time. It has way more than doubled!

Even Yolo County (home to Davis), has only grown by 119%. (Figures all from CA Department of Finance.) I am reminded of Yogi Berra saying that, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." That Yogi :D!!!

Bob has again moved into the neighborhood of one of the most liberal communities of the US: Portland, Oregon. Young people saying "YOLO" must be taken from life in communities like this: "You Only Live Once."

Steve
montyJ & Dew can have me delete this if they'd like :)

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah Thistle, it's a great place to live in, I just wish we had bigger yards in the bay area. Oh, and I wouldn't mind it being 10° warmer. Then maybe I could grow cantelopes and watermelons!

Mary (who's proud she still remembers Digit's method of how to do degrees!)

Latest posts