Diy Trash to Treasure redo thread

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Going though a drawer in my parents house I found a cool Art Nouveau serving spoon. I went on ebay where one like it was selling for $500. Cleaning the tarnish I found a signature. Went back on ebay found 3 extract same ones all under $10
DSCF0627.JPG
DSCF0627.JPG

coco25

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cut Off, Louisiana Zone 9a, Bayou Country
@baymule, that is great that you saved that, it must feel great to see it in your home knowing that your grandmother always had it in hers. I would always look at it & remember the love of my grandmother.
I saw in another post that you were an upholsterer, my mother was an upholsterer & seamstress. Every day I wish that I would have learned all her knowledge. I remember some things, but no where near the vast knowledge she had. Upholstering is not an easy job. I have this old sectional that my neighbors put outside for trash pickup. I absolutely love it, even in the rough shape it's in it is gorgeous ( to me). I wish I could reupholster it myself, because I know the size & all those buttons will probably be super expensive!
Any ideas or suggestions for me??

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@coco25
#1 pick a solid color. Patterns would not work
#2 as you take the cover off, write on the back of each piece what it is and what number it is as to where it goes. Example; left side facing, end piece #1, then; left side facing, end piece #2 and so on
#3 read some books, with lots of pictures
#4 you would need to buy new cushion foam, new cotton batting, new polyester batting.
#5 you could go to an upholster and get buttons made for the back.
#6 use the old pieces for patterns
And lots more, if you get serious about it, I'll get more detailed

I used sawhorses with a 2x6 top to put the furniture on to get it off the floor. You would need a heavy machine to sew the fabric, most home machines won't get there.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@coco25
#1 pick a solid color. Patterns would not work
#2 as you take the cover off, write on the back of each piece what it is and what number it is as to where it goes. Example; left side facing, end piece #1, then; left side facing, end piece #2 and so on
#3 read some books, with lots of pictures
#4 you would need to buy new cushion foam, new cotton batting, new polyester batting.
#5 you could go to an upholster and get buttons made for the back.
#6 use the old pieces for patterns
And lots more, if you get serious about it, I'll get more detailed

I used sawhorses with a 2x6 top to put the furniture on to get it off the floor. You would need a heavy machine to sew the fabric, most home machines won't get there.
And a STRONG grip !

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I love how that cabinet has a lot of storage space. For some reason as I was reading your post, I thought you were going to paint it red. Don't know where that came from.

I wish I had an old piece from my grandmother. When she passed, she lived with an aunt who is not fond of me. She was always jealous that I surpassed her son in everything. :rolleyes: She said she would give me something of my grandmother but of course I knew she wouldn't. I have so many wonderful memories though that nobody can take away. I spent a lot more time with my grandma than my aunt's son did and I knew my grandmother loved me more! :)

Mary

Latest posts