Do you have an 'outdoor room' - and what do you use it for?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a zillion frogs and still bad mosquito problem. Don't know if they improved the CO2 . When they first came out I knew several people who purchased them, none thought it made a difference.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tadpoles and dragonfly larva will eat mosquito larva, but I don't think they make that much difference during a big mosquito infestation. Goldfish and Koi do a much better job of it since their appetites are greater.

I doubt that adult frogs make much of a dent in the population of mosquitoes. It takes as much energy to snap up a mosquito as it does a bigger insect. Mosquitoes don't even make a snack.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we have the chickens but also have seen a few bats about sundown...
we use the citronella in the evenings just at the table keeps the flying
bugs at bay

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the 'outdoor room' thing. My herbs did SOO well on the straw bale garden this year, I'm considering that IF I do move the table, chairs & grill to the side yard - I might use bales to make a low wall around them and plant lots of 'smelly' herbs - peppermint, citronella, basal, and marigolds too.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. But I'd like to. I have a little, table-top charcoal one. I need to practice - the last few times I used it I burned the burgers.

I did use it to heat the water to scald a rooster once.... ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Scalding the rooster is an honorable use of your tabletop grill. :thumbsup Something I would have done myself. . . I used the freestanding Weber grill for the same purpose.

I like the idea of a flower boarder around your table/chairs. The hay bales would be easy to move. There are some plants that are supposed to keep mosquitoes away because of their evening scent.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
And - I can dehydrate all those herbs for later use! I've gotten 2 spaghetti sauce jars filled with dried, crushed basil from one plant this summer. There's another one taking up half a bale that will probably fill another couple of jars.... anyone need some basil?

Latest posts