Dog food question

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have fed science diet to both my dogs and cats for years. I do know that all dogs are different and while some do fine on diets with the grains others don't so it's best to base your decision on your dogs appearance of health and appetite.

If your dogs coat is shiny and glows with health, if it's skin is healthy and not red, irritated and flaky, if it's ears aren't hot and inflamed (and sometimes even smelly), if it does not suffer from vomiting on a regular basis, if it maintains a good weight and the stool it produces is healthy looking I would keep feeding the current food.

All of the problems mentioned above can be signs of not tolerating the diet well or having allergies to some component in their food.

I have been a veterinary practice manager for 11 years and have heard of so many different food articles from the internet. I know people who have fed all of the diets listed above and done well on them. In clinic when asked to recommend a diet we will often suggest science diet, iams, purina one, eukanuba, natural choice or even pedigree. If a client is interested in an alternative or premium diet we also provide that info and ask for feedback from them. A lot of it comes to down to the dog's condition as well as the owners time and finances.

So it comes down too if your dog is doing well on the current food I wouldn't change it because they may not tolerate the next food as well.

JMHO - Deena

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also have to say that if you purchase anything edible (or non-edible for that matter) for your pet, and that product is not from this country, then you are setting yourself up for some health problems.

Seriously! No one can provide the kind of protection for your pet than you! Please do not ever buy pet products from China or any other nation where the value of the animal is based on the profits.

We are talking toys too folks!!!!! Simply check the label, if it is from anywhere else put it down immediately! This is how we force the industry into complying with our children's health and safety.

Ron

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Science Diet and Iams are garbage. Any dog food that includes high levels of grains, particularly corn, soy, wheat or rice is garbage. The difference between these high prices vet-pushed foods and the cheapest Walmart brand is like the difference between a filtered, low-tar cigarette and a regular cigarette.

If you can get your critter to eat raw, that is the best. That doesn't always work though, especially if you are trying to convert a pet that grew up on sugar...ahhh...I mean regular dog food. The next best thing is a low carbohydrate food that is high in protein.

Taste of the Wild is good (I use the cat version for my kitties...and the ducks like it too!). Also Innova EVO, Wilderness Core, Blue Buffalo (forget which variety, but it specifically states low carb, high protein) and other food like it are good options.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am just happy that everyone has dogs and feeds them to be honest :) whatever you choose bless your heart for caring about your pup!

I can not imagine going through life with out a cat or dog for comfort and security

I do not follow the BARF for my dog Ron I literally just toss them a measured amt of frozen meat and do not think too much about the rest ..my vet said the BARF was a bit "overthought" and I am not likely to do that ..the overthinking part

I read it and was overwhelmed by all the things you do to combine ..

if my dogs want an egg for a snack they get a raw egg shell and all ..sometimes they eat chicken feet like pretzles somedays they eat a lot and some days not so much
they have been scarfing apples like crazy lately ..I think they know better than I do how to eat healthy!

cheers to everyone who loves their animals!!!

OOOXXX

deenamr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HiDelight

Couldn't agree more with you. We all do what we feel is best for our dogs and it's great that we care.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
HiDelight: Are those pitties? They sure are cute! :love

I wish I could afford to feed my dogs something better, but I have only ever fed Purina Dog Chow, and they have done well on it and look good. A friend of mine in college who was in vet school did a comparison on bagged dog foods and said the Purina was good. All the bagged foods in my price range have corn for the main ingredient and chicken byproducts. :sick They do poo a lot and you have to be careful not to overfeed or they'll gain weight on it very easily.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
HiDelight: Are those pitties? They sure are cute! :love

I wish I could afford to feed my dogs something better, but I have only ever fed Purina Dog Chow, and they have done well on it and look good. A friend of mine in college who was in vet school did a comparison on bagged dog foods and said the Purina was good. All the bagged foods in my price range have corn for the main ingredient and chicken byproducts. :sick They do poo a lot and you have to be careful not to overfeed or they'll gain weight on it very easily.
yes they are both rescue pitties :) thank you
I have no money and can not afford to do things that do not all work together so I do not buy food just for animals I try to buy food that feeds us all if that makes sense ..it is kind of like a big strange cycle

and please you have to know it is good you that
honey you FEED your dog and care for them ..so many people do not :(

so here is how I work it out and really it is not anymore to feed them than the two of us :)

I buy poultry on sale past date to freeze frozen ..cheap cheap... we buy beef, lamb and even pork locally from the 4 H'rs and then have them save everything from the animal ..ever organ ever bone every everthing that is legal he gives us what we do not eat the dogs adore ...and I always get extra bags of dog bones from them at the time of purchase because most of the people I know who share animals with us do not want any of this !

so that is how I get meat to feed my dogs ..and pit bulls look funny with a chicken foot sticking out the mouth :)

this would all be tossed ..and they even toss in other parts from other peoples animals

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
playing "jail"

6185_img_4255.jpg

ps Micheal Vick I heard was resigned with Nike

omg how sick and sad to me

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Had a hard day in the yard with mom.

HPIM1488.jpg

HPIM1491.jpg

HiDelight said:

I had not heard that. I just have to believe there is a special place in hell for that guy.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
HiDelight said:

I had not heard that. I just have to believe there is a special place in hell for that guy.
I hear ya. :rant

You all have some cute puppies. I like looking at everybody's dog pics as much as I do baby pics. :D Here's my girls playing tug-of-war together.
6486_picture_1031b.jpg

I have a pitbull too (Sierra, aka Boogie), and a chow mix (Dana).

Buying in bulk and on sale sounds like a good idea. Sometimes I give them scraps when we butcher deer and hearts and gizzards from butchering chickens, but it's more of a treat. I should "put up" food for them too huh. With a little sweet talking maybe I could get my husband to save the organ meats from the deer when he field dresses them. So you have to freeze them first for a couple of days to kill parasites then, right? Does cooking it help too? I always wondered about dogs eating nasty roadkill...

Latest posts