Dog food question

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I always feed my girl raw scraps from when I cook. It seems like a natural thing for dogs to eat raw meat, but it weirds my DH out. Am I wrong on that one?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no answers , but just want to say, I am totally in love with every cat and dog on here!!! We are not whole without our faithful companions at our side!:love

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I always feed my girl raw scraps from when I cook. It seems like a natural thing for dogs to eat raw meat, but it weirds my DH out. Am I wrong on that one?
In my opinion, no you're not. Dogs are meat eaters. I also give mine raw venison when I'm cooking with it - they love it. I also feed them boiled eggs and veggies and they love sliced apples.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
omg those pictures you guys they are beautfiul ..I like this page best now! :weee more well fed dogs please :)

if you have hunters and they do not bring everything home I am going to cry :hit omg all that good dog food!!!! the liver the heart you should be eating those but if not please feed them to your dogs! ..especially the feet just give your dog a frozen foot hoof and all and see the orgasmic look in their eyes!!!

if they are not saving you neck bones back bones...all the bones...if not for your dogs get them for your own soups and stews all that flavor! ..I am believe it or not a real city girl but am so glad I believe in nose to toes eating! for myself and animals (I will convince you yet ;) ) ..I know it is gross to think of a dog chewing on animal ears or a head ..but they do not see things that way they are dogs and dogs love chewy crunchy things ..they will be so happy you give them these parts!!!! I feed all but the fur to my dogs ..except they do get some fur on the lower legs because I can never pull it off

as far as cooking vs not ..like Ron many people prefer to give cooked food and that is just fine as long as you do not give them cooked bones ...and I give my dogs lots of bones poultry and otherwise ...raw bones are very good for dogs ..cooked ones kill dogs ..I do know that raw bones grind and digest well even when like mine they are sometimes swallowed in one bite :ep when you cook a bone it changes the protein so it forms shards instead of ground up bone meal ..these can cause all kinds of horrible events including obstructions and death ...

so if you are feeding a boneless diet then raw or cooked it does not matter ..but if you are feeding bones always feed them raw

how I put dog food by if you are interested this is all I do

I rinse the bones and meat pat dry and lay them out on a tray in the freezer I put them in a giant bin I keep in the freezer(my vet who is very pro all raw feeding..strange for vets who make a lot of money special diets ..she told me they still do because folks do not want to deal with raw feeding ...she feels strongly you should freeze the meat as I mentioned above and I just do it because it is easy makes sense ..I know with the fish it kills the fluke also with meat probaly at least retard the growth of the bacteria while it may not kill it there will be less ..but like you said ..they eat road kill! dogs have great guts for bacteria! ) so then I just the frozen chunks off.. I eyeball about 1/2lbs servings for my 60lb dogs... and a rubbemaid storage bin I do just mix mine all up but I have friends who are more consciences feeders that will have a poultry bin a beef bin ect .. (I have a mini freezer I picked up at the thrift store just for dogmeat) so it holds the freezing trays and bins I try to give them raw frozen sardines or mackerel a couple of times a month (I buy them at the Asian market for less than a buck a lb) so they get some fish oil ..that is the only food I buy completely for them and we do not eat ourselves ..I love sardines but frozen ones are gross to me so is frozen mackerel but fish oil is good for dogs so they get their fish!
so do the chickens they love to peck up a sardine and I know the omegas are good for the eggs!

It took some practice but I am proud of the fact that I feed not only us well but also my dogs and chickens for not a penny more nor do I have to buy anything different for them . than what it costs us to eat and they all eat very well and the chickens give us eggs back! and they thrive on this with out much effort on my part!

hope this helps..I do not feel my way is the only way please know that I just love what it does for us and wanted to share
again ...
our dogs and cats have homes and people who love them that part is the best part!

I have a friend who takes BARF so seriously grinds up all these special burgers and things scheduled sorts combines ..:tongue .. then stops at Jack in The Box herself!!!

I told her "it is kind of like making your kids eat vegetables while you are eating Oreos!!!!" LOL

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use a brand from the feed store call Professional. It is a now wheat, soy, corn thing. I love love love it. I had use science diet but had problems because it has corn in it and my mastiff has sensitive skin. You can go with the more expensive brand of science diet but with a mastiff... oh no I can not afford it. so check your feed store.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
912_big_carrots_rabbit_and_chickens_sept_09_085.jpg

This girl and her little sister get Wellness. We used to use Taste of the Wild, but the stores around here sell Wellness. I love both.

We did the raw and I totally believe in it, but with two big St. Bernards, it was difficult. They still get raw stuff when I cook, like chicken wing tips etc. but it is not the brunt of their diets.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Love the saint. It was on my dream dog list. But that was when I lived in Montana. I didn't think they would do so good here in the south so I went with the mastiff.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The SB is so beautiful, but I have yet to see one not Drool on everything.

I would go freako if I got slimed ! :barnie

Ron

Latest posts