Ducks!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Make sure to enjoy them when they're small and fuzzy!

*sniff* They grow up so fast! :hit

Farm Critters 2014-2015 031.JPG

.....:p

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always wanted to ask this question but was afraid to ask. Might show my ignorance. But do ducks poop more than chickens?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen more poop......yet. But they take a bath in their water tray! I ordered 17 Pekins for freezer camp. Before I get really sick and tired of cleaning up after them, they'll be invited to supper. I ordered 3 fawn and white runner ducks for eggs, giggles and grins. After seeing pictures, DH has laid claim to the runners. LOL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen more poop......yet. But they take a bath in their water tray! I ordered 17 Pekins for freezer camp. Before I get really sick and tired of cleaning up after them, they'll be invited to supper. I ordered 3 fawn and white runner ducks for eggs, giggles and grins. After seeing pictures, DH has laid claim to the runners. LOL

I watched some youtubes of Runner ducks. They looked like fun! I wonder how hardy they are? For northern climates I mean.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've always wanted to ask this question but was afraid to ask. Might show my ignorance. But do ducks poop more than chickens?

Mary
Good question, although a little hard to answer. We have a flock of about 14 chickens and a flock of about... 60 something ducks at the moment? I would have to say that they poop about as much as chickens. BUT duck poop is liquid half of the time, so it will go into the soil instead of sitting in the yard.

Ignorance? It's only ignorance if you've raised ducks before and haven't ever thought about it. Even if you have raised ducks before - no question is a bad one.

Oh yeah! I have gotten poop-shot by broody Muscovy duck females before. Sitting in the nest for a month that female won't get out to poop. And if you pick the female up to move mother and babies into a special pen, all of that poop is going to go somewhere- I have gotten my whole lap coated is rancid duck doo before. I haven't tried getting chicks from chickens before so don't know how they are, I would imagine that they'd do similar.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I watched some youtubes of Runner ducks. They looked like fun! I wonder how hardy they are? For northern climates I mean.
As long as you have a warm place for them to stay at night, and multiple ducks to keep each other warm, they should do great - as long as you keep those mountain lions back. I have not tried runners but this applies to all breeds.

Latest posts