Ducks!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wha-wha-whaat?! Never owned ducks!

You must not know what you're missing out on! The rich, yolky goodness that is the duck egg is a must-have, once you taste one you will never look at a chicken egg the same way again! They are absolutely great for baking. And if you're one of those that butchers their own birds for meat, duck meat is sooo finger-licking good that it's that hard to describe in words. Well, I mean I could, but there wouldn't be enough room to type in all. :D Domestic duck meat is also nothing like wild mallard, if your thoughts of duck meat were already spoiled trying that stuff. Not only are they tasty, both egg and meat, but they are great and eating garden pests!

Just don't keep too many in one area! They are messy but worth the trouble. Can you tell by now that I really like ducks? ;)

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
THE DUCKIES ARE HERE!:weeeTHE DUCKIES ARE HERE!:weeeTHE DUCKIES ARE HERE!:weeeTHE DUCKIES ARE HERE!:weee

View attachment 1429

Parker is beside himself with excitement. He loves the babies and wants to lick them, but that would result in them being rolled up in that tongue of his! LOL I had him lay down so he could love on a baby.

View attachment 1430
How did I miss this post? You ARE the devil. They are too adorable for me to even look at.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our grand daughter just left with her parents. We had a great time with the duckies, chickens, dogs, neighbor kids and dirt, mud and sunshine. She adored the ducks and carried one around with her practically the whole time she was here. Then her parents had to come in last night, swoop her away this morning and spoil everything. The nerve of some people!! :lol:

The ducks are really growing! It is easy to see why pekins are ready to butcher at 7 to 12 weeks! There are 2 that have what looks like it might be one of those funny poof-feather balls on the back of their heads. If they turn out to be ducks, I might have to keep one......or both...... :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took these pics Thursday, I have had them for one week. @TheSeedObsesser you weren't kidding, they really do grow fast. I got 20 in that little box, I put 7 in the box for a picture.

Ducks one week.jpg

When I change out their cage, feed and water them, I put them in a box. Parker is there to lick each one as I take them out of the cage and then he licks each one of them as I take them out of the box to put them in their clean cage. Funny dog!

Ducks one week Parker.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH is off on Mondays and we got the outside duck pen ready for the duckies today. I have a converted rabbit hutch-2 story now- and built a temporary enclosure around it. It wasn't duckie ready though, so we put a heat lamp in it, wrapped the open wire areas with cardboard and feed sacks and put a layer of soft fluffy leaves inside it. It rained Saturday and turned cold. Last night it was in the low 30's but warmed up today. This week is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70's. I think the ducks will have a "DUCKS DAY OUT" tomorrow. Those cute little stinkers smell! Their day out might turn out to be DUCKIES STAY OUT!!!!

Fuzzy yellow peepers. They stink. Cute. They stink. Clean their cage 3 times a day. They stink. They eat their heads off--and they stink. They splash all their water out and make a gooey paste with their feed. Did I mention that they stink? They love grass and carrot tops. Phew. They spill out of their cage when I open the door, eyeing the dog. Smelly little goomers. The dog moves and they run for the back corner screaming hysterically. They stink. We laugh. And we laugh some more. Have I said anything about how they have a certain aroma that announces their presence? :lol:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Fuzzy yellow peepers. They stink. Cute. They stink. Clean their cage 3 times a day. They stink. They eat their heads off--and they stink. They splash all their water out and make a gooey paste with their feed. Did I mention that they stink? They love grass and carrot tops. Phew. They spill out of their cage when I open the door, eyeing the dog. Smelly little goomers. The dog moves and they run for the back corner screaming hysterically. They stink. We laugh. And we laugh some more. Have I said anything about how they have a certain aroma that announces their presence? :lol:

You've just described ducks in a nutshell there! :gig

Latest posts