Ducks!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HotPepperQueen I feel for you. I really feel for you. :sick

@Wishin' I got Pekins because they are ready for slaughter in 7-12 weeks, about the time I am really sick and tired of them, they can go on vacation to freezer camp. As for the Runners, I think I can maybe put up with 3 of them, and if not, they can easily go away.

@lesa it is so wonderful to have them OUT of here!!

The hatchery called me and asked if I wanted them early in February. For once in my life, my answer was brilliant and I said no. I was trying to time the cute fuzzies for our grand daughter being on spring break. It worked out perfectly.

Ducks day one water.jpg

Ducks day one feed.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary this is my first time with ducks. After admiring the pictures you posted of your beautiful yard and garden, I thinks ducks are definitely on your NO-NO list! :lol:

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Excellent Bay! Sounds like you are on your way to much a more pleasant duck experience! Hotpeppequeen, I have heard that meaties really smell bad, too. Hoping to tractor them, if I ever take the plunge.
Just imagine the most sour smelling kitchen garbage......plus poo. The only way to really describe them is SOUR. Their smell really makes it easy to dispatch them when the time comes in 8 weeks. As long as you keep on top of the mess and have lots of air flow, it isn't so bad. If I didn't do such a large amount I would tractor them.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have raised the meaties for a 4H project before, super - smelly!

Mary, if you want you could always start out with a two ducks. I would recommend putting them in a garage (if you have one). I honestly wouldn't put any kind of animal waste in an inside garbage can. Your experience with ducks may be different from others' experiences. (Oh, and we've been keeping animals for a long time - slaughtering is never easy! They are defenseless animals. And I am the one that does a good portion of the slaughtering.)

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@HotPepperQueen I feel for you. I really feel for you. :sick

@Wishin' I got Pekins because they are ready for slaughter in 7-12 weeks, about the time I am really sick and tired of them, they can go on vacation to freezer camp. As for the Runners, I think I can maybe put up with 3 of them, and if not, they can easily go away.

@lesa it is so wonderful to have them OUT of here!!

The hatchery called me and asked if I wanted them early in February. For once in my life, my answer was brilliant and I said no. I was trying to time the cute fuzzies for our grand daughter being on spring break. It worked out perfectly.

View attachment 1601

View attachment 1602

Can you post a closer up picture of the ducklings that appear to have crests? After looking through your photos it does look there could be a couple with a small crest.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HotPepperQueen I am pretty sure I have two with puff balls on their heads. It just makes them cuter and harder to slaughter. :( If either of them turns out to be ducks instead of drakes.......it sure makes it tempting..... :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made them a waterer this morning. DH bought me a small rubber tub at TSC for $10 and a bucket at the doughnut shop for a dollar. I drilled holes in the bucket, set it in the tub and filled it up. Put the top on the bucket and watched the fun. They can stick their whole head under water and even get in the side of the tub. They are having a blast! Now in addition to CHICKEN TV, I can watch DUCK TV!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm getting this duck thing figured out. They eat. :\ They eat a LOT. Then they drink. They guzzle water like a dying man in the desert that just found an oasis. They dribble, drool and just plain sling water everywhere. :smack Then they go for more feed. Then more water. They pad back and forth until full, then they nap. The dog walks past their area and they run, screaming their little duckie lungs out for the opposite side. :lol:

Tractor Supply wanted thirty five dollars for a 5 gallon plastic waterer. :th I made mine for $11. The chick feeder base that screws on a quart mason jar just wasn't keeping up with the little piggies appetite. :barnie I didn't want to go buy a big feeder, cause I already have one hanging in the chicken coop. The Pekins are temporary, when they go to freezer camp, the 3 Runners can join the hens. So, being the cheap......er......frugal, sensible person that I am, I made them a feeder. I washed out a plastic milk jug and cut two holes in it big enough for a duck head to see what's inside. I filled it with feed and put it in their coop. It has worked splendidly. :weee

And while many of you are still looking at snow, it has gotten rather warm here. I have a heat lamp in the duck coop, but unplug it during the day. The ducks were panting yesterday, they were hot. DH brought a pallet home from his work and this morning I dragged it to the back yard and stapled a woven plastic feed sack to it. I leaned it against the chicken coop so the ducks can have a shady spot. They paddled to the far corner nervously eyeing the duck eating monster. But by the afternoon, they were sprawled out in their little shade lean to.

They are already sprouting pinfeathers. They are growing fast.

Latest posts