Ducks!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get that they're cute Bay, but what's your opinion of their scent?
I think that ducks smells better than chicken (referring to birds with feathers and without spices and marinade of course) but I've been around them for a little while. And thinking that they do get water all over there poop makes me think that it would make it smell worse - or maybe wash it away? I'd like to hear other peoples opinion on this.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was waiting for you to discover the "scent of ducklings!" I can't believe how fast they grow- really amazing! With temps in the 70's I can't imagine why you wouldn't keep them out...A little fresh air is just what they need!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just think about how bad the chicken yard smells after a couple of rainy days. Poo + moisture = stink
The only good thing about the drought last year was how dry (thus odor free) the chicken house and yard remained.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@lesa the weather here has been so crazy. It got almost to 80* last week, then the rains came followed by plunging to 32* temps. I couldn't bring myself to put them out in that extreme swing. It is supposed to be in the mid 70's all week, sunny (dry up the mud?? I hope) and cool at night. DH and I got the pen ready for them yesterday, I turned on the heat lamp for them a little while ago, drinking my coffee and playing on TEG.

My next move will be to put the Duckie Monsters outside. Then clean up the cage, put the trash out (it stinks too--wonder why?) and let the little darlings begin to explore the great outdoors. :D

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Egg laying chickens smell better than ducks, but ducks smell FAR BETTER than meat chickens. I walked into the storage room this morning and almost fell flat from the stink the little 1 week old meaties have generated.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HotPepperQueen that is so funny!! I am sick and tired of sticking my head in that stinky dog kennel 3 times a day, catching the little stinkers, putting them in a box, taking out the water, feed and rolling up the poopy, stinky papers and tossing them in the trash. Then clean it all up and put them back in. Like clockwork, 8AM, 4PM, 10PM.........now they are outside.

They are basking in the sunshine, they have eaten leaves, grass and dirt. They finally ate their feed and drank water. I cleaned up the mess inside and am airing out the house.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah we just got about a foot of snow dumped on us after a week of 40+ degree days. So these little guys won't be going outside anytime soon. They will make it to the garage however...

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@HotPepperQueen that is so funny!! I am sick and tired of sticking my head in that stinky dog kennel 3 times a day, catching the little stinkers, putting them in a box, taking out the water, feed and rolling up the poopy, stinky papers and tossing them in the trash. Then clean it all up and put them back in. Like clockwork, 8AM, 4PM, 10PM.........now they are outside.

I cleaned up the mess inside and am airing out the house.
Opinion of duckies smell......:barnieand :confused: and :tongue and :thand :sick
Those are the reasons I can't stand ducks, I've had khakis, peckins, and runners, they are cute as all get out, but the constant work, having to clean the cages every couple hours, and the smell, it is the most foul, rank, putrefying smell, that seems to sink into every thing moments after being cleaned, you walk in the door and want to :th they poop non stop, and when they grow up they turn every puddle into a stagnant poopy sludge:barnie, every bucket is filthy minutes after being cleaned and refilled. :sick Finally sold the last three yesterday :celebrateThey are adorable:love and if they make you happy more power to ya. :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent Bay! Sounds like you are on your way to much a more pleasant duck experience! Hotpeppequeen, I have heard that meaties really smell bad, too. Hoping to tractor them, if I ever take the plunge.