Explosion in Chipmunks This Year

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes love to eat them. People think a skunk visited at night when it was coyotes. Skunks don't stink at all-their spray does but they eject that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes love to eat them. People think a skunk visited at night when it was coyotes. Skunks don't stink at all-their spray does but they eject that.

They must retain a bit of the odor though. I remember waking up one night to the skunk aroma, and it was just a passing skunk digging around in my containers for bugs. No spray. They probably don't use Head and Shoulders and Fanny for Skunks when they bathe, so some of that spray sticks...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Coyotes don't retain a little odor at all......they retain a LOT of odor! Skunks spray for protection and to find a mate. Skunks are fairly odorless normally.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I smelled the skunk just passing by.

I know dogs can retain the odor for a long time, one of our dogs got hit square in the chest from point blank range. My husband had taken the dogs on a full moon hike when they had a skunk encounter. When he got home he thoughtfully parked the truck, with the dogs in it way down the driveway away from our house. You could still smell it. The next morning I realized he had parked it by our neighbors bedroom window! :sick :oops:

It took forever to get rid of that aroma. Our dog had a greasy yellow spot on her chest that no tomato juice or paste, or soap could kick.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is Northern Midwest skunks......maybe yours have some southern skunk n them.

Could be that working in chicken/hog houses has dulled my sense of smell. Women do have a better sense of smell.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would explain it, not just southern but Texan polecats.....

Latest posts