Fake or real?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I miss real trees, but I have a fake one because my dog is allergic to evergreens and breaks out in hives. But it does have its advantages. Ava was so excited, we put ours up a week before Thanksgiving and will probably leave it up until just after New Year's. Since we heat with wood, it's nice to not have to worry about the tree drying out and catching fire too.

Only the top half is decorated, of course. :p DD2 pulls her slide over next to it and tries to reach higher. I think I'll put the play-yard fencing around it so I can go ahead and put the presents under. She has already opened 2 gifts that an uncle brought them...hers and Ava's too. Ava didn't try to stop her. I think it was a conspiracy. :rolleyes:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
...'Seed', my Mom's family are the Golds. After my Grandmother married into the family, she was known as Goldie. In fact - everybody in the family has been known as Goldie by somebody or other! So . . . . ?

Nothing wrong with it, Digit, just thought it was funny how that was almost named Charlie Brown! I wonder if there are any Garfeilds around?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Real tree I put it up in office, have all dog ornaments I have collected for 20 years.At country house have a gaint pine tree in front yard. I wanted a lighted star for top of tree put ad on CL for a tree climer. Well very top would have need a cherry picker, which was much more then I wanted to spend. The star ended up about 30 feet high at night when lite you can't tell its not on top.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it, Digit, just thought it was funny how that was almost named Charlie Brown! I wonder if there are any Garfeilds around?

I was hoping we'd be allowed to call you Brownie.

Okay, I'll stop :).

Goldie.JPG

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sure glad you made it here Mary! Just keep on clicking different links and things here. We'll get used to it. It's just different.

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have a fake one. Got it last year because we were leaving on vacation o the 2nd and we didn't want to have to worry about taking it right down after Christmas. I have always snooted my nose up to people who had fake trees, and now I am one of them!! oh well... hubby and I are not the best at remembering to water it, so t was always such a mess when we took the real one down. Now I don't have to water it... its nice but I do miss the smell. :(

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had the same fake one for about 22 years. Almost an antique by now, lol! I think it still looks pretty real. I love pine/spruce/fir/cedar smells, but they really play havoc with my allergies. I used to work in a florist shop, and I would be stopped up and sneezing all of December. But love the look and smell of that Port Orford Cedar!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit ... to solve a similar problem to yours when we moved into our new home 2 years ago... my wife bought a rubberized magnetic ( as for the refrigerator or ? ) Christmas tree ( can be configured to about 1 ft. - 3 ft +/- as it comes in 4 pieces ). It can be very easily stored in one's desk drawer or under the socks in a dresser drawer or ?. When our 3 kids ( holly terror Dennis the Menace types ) were small NO Christmas tree was safe from them. To solve this dilemma, I used to get any fairly large evergreen branch ( usually a free trimmed one from a Christmas tree lot ) and hang it from a hook in the ceiling. When they were in their teens we bought an artificial one that now resides in our oldest son's home since 3 year old grandson is a holly terror too. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob, a lot of my ♪ ♫ favorite things ♪ ♫

have been found in my refrigerator!

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it were up to me and DH, there wouldn't be a tree. It's not! Our lives are controlled by munchkins we refer to as grandchildren. Gypsy got the fake tree up from the basement Monday after school. She sorted the branches by size and color. I decided to cut the tree short by leaving off the bottom assembly stake, so Gypsy started attaching the branches to the top part of the assembly. That's it! She started. Then Dad said it was time to go home. Gypsy asked me to NOT finish the tree. She wants to do it.

Thursday night we had an unexpected sleep over. Gypsy had her Christmas concert at school and then came back here, but didn't do anything on the tree. Friday night we had our usual Friday sleep over. Gypsy baked her first blueberry pie, but didn't go near the Christmas tree fixings. Today after her skating lesson, I asked her about finishing the tree. She still says she wants to do it herself, but reminded me she never mentioned exactly when she would finish putting the tree up. I asked if that meant I would have a Fourth of July tree? She laughed and said that the nice part of trees is "if you have the right decorations the tree is always looks in season."

I'm not sure where that leaves my living room -- and the mess therein. I'll put the now 'extra' branches back into the basement and give her another week. Sigh! On the other hand, I now have a pie maker in the family!