Fake or real?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy , I hope it doesn't cost you as much to get the star back down! Hopefully a little pulling on the cord will do the trick. :)

@bobm , that so cracked me up, picturing your kid-proof tree. Very original! (I need one of those.) :gig

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just unplugged the star last year. This year I went to plug in and it didnt light. I had a outside outlet put in just for xmas lighhts. I called my electrician, he came out and pressed a button, power to the star. I learned outside outlet have a safe that might need to be reset.not a cheap lesson.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter). In new installations, outdoor outlets and those near water are required to be protected with a GFCI. If the electrician who came out was the same one who installed the outlet, you should have been told to check the GFCI before he started out for your house. Shame on the electrician!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not ashamed of our fake tree. Was my wife's grandmothers tree that she hadn't put up in years. Was collecting dust in the attic till we were offered it after looking at the going rate for fake trees.

Ours goes up usually the first week of December, and comes down mid January. I like the fake tree, not having to water it, or the cats climbing it. We decorate it with gingerbread cookies that we make and decorate as a family. Icing gets piped on and/or egg wash to hold glitter on. We have a variety of shapes too from angels & bells to mittens, Santas, & all sorts of other holiday/winter themed cookies. We make holes with a straw in the dough before baking, then decorate & thread them with yarn pieces to make loops & the tree is filled with probably 4-5 dozen gingerbreads. White lights, artificial strands of wooden cranberries & real popcorn threaded with fishing line adorn our tree. We mix in a few bulbs & of course the sentimental ornaments like one with our wedding anniversary, & the girls both have babies first Christmas ones too.

We leave undecorated cookies at dog nose height & below as well as decorate extra cookies "just in case". My wife's family did it for years & we kept the tradition going.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, we received 2 handmade artificial Christmas trees yesterday . One each from our 7 year old grandson and one from our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter. On oval paper dinner plates, they made a house out of graham crackers , and a Christmas tree made out of cone shaped ice cream cones, all decorated with icing, M & Ms, and jelly beans, and mini shredded wheat covered with icing as bales of hay. The grand kids allowed their Mom ( daughter in law ) to help just a wee bit. :weee :plbb

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monty and I were informed in August we were not allowed to get our tree with out our granddaughter Tina!!! We got our tree on the 2nd of Dec. and she came over the next night to help decorate it. :D It was fun to watch her.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a gorgeous fresh tree that we bought from a farm the next town over. $40 for a 15 foot tall tree. All proceeds go to ALS. My husband had had their son that is afflicted with the disease in school. They created a real wonderful experience with many of his old students volunteering for the day. At the place we used to get them, the price had grown to $140 and more for a tall tree. My family loves the tall tree but with that price it was really becoming a hardship to buy anymore.

As a side note. Last year my husband had to bring a chair and was hardly able to walk around the place, and take time to rest often. This year, with his TWO NEW KNEES we were able to walk around the whole place and see every tree they have. Love those bionic knees!!!!