Garden Photos, Everyone Post Some

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
AllyRodrigues said:
Wow, you guys have beautiful gardens! Here is one of my son working in our garden yesterday. It's a lot smaller than most of yours!

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/8784_mateusgarden.jpg
If you haven't finished filling those raised beds-put a think layer of newspaper down under the soil. (The old fashioned internet delivered to your door) You would be surprised how long grass rhizomes will live and then struggle to the top. I always say start small. My 2 and 4 year old grandsons help me. We look through daylily catalogs together for fun. Hope their interest is there when I'm too old to keep up with it!
Oh no! I had already filled them and you're exactly right! I have grass coming through..I didn't realize they'd be able to find their way up! Other than digging them out and lining them between plantings one by one, is there anything else I can do? That wouldn't be the end of the world, either I suppose..

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It actually depends on what kind of grass that is.

I'm sure folks see the mistakes with my garden!

Ally, if that grass does come up unstoppable, all is definitely not lost. Those beds look movable. If needed, next fall you could remove the soil to a wheelbarrow and dig out the remaining sod. That gives you an opportunity to add new soil at that time, do your amendments etc.

Some kinds of grass will not make it up through a foot of soil. Others will make runners that could take 6 months to surface.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Allie, another potential headache is the grass that grows right next to the outside edge of your box. Even if you put paper down or dig the turf out, ( and those are very good things to do ), that darn grass will creep under and grow up next to the wood, then start spreading out into your soil.
I would use a half moon edger, or a flat nose spade to create a 4" border around your beds. In other words, cut the sod and remove it so you have a dirt frame around the beds. When I edge this way it lasts for about a year before the grass starts creeping back in.

You could also use a weed torch, or a vinegar spray to kill the grass alongside the edge, but in my opinion a 4" border lasts longer and is prettier!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ally, just because I'm local and I'm sure I know the type of grass you are in for a HARD time. I believe around here most lawns are centipede grass and it grows low and on a continuos root. The stuff is a nightmare and will grow right up and through the soil. I'm forever pulling mine out and it comes right back if you even leave a tiny bit of root or grass under the soil. I even tilled my soil under my beds, and added a layer of newspaper. This stuff is ruthless!!!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickpeas, pole beans, squash and zucchini

photobucket-4766-1336479276080.jpg

This years bucket project, Global Buckets with peppers
photobucket-1675-1336479314847.jpg

I grow these too, but these are all "grown up", lol
photobucket-18847-1336509839919.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Peas were seed to soil April 24th and 25th.
9018_100_3336.jpg

My first Garbanzo Beans, 10 plants, to see how they grow.
9018_100_3323.jpg

Bonus bed A. Original plan was to finish this extension of the bed this fall. Whacked it together yesterday, filled and planted it today. Mostly with a variety of bean I know nothing about, and it is indeed called "Baddas". Also put in 6 reverse brown pintos, and 6 Deep Orange Paiute Teparies.
9018_100_3329.jpg

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
These will be pole cranberry beans, except the beans will be brilliant red with small off white flecks.

9018_100_3450.jpg

The view of my garden from near my cabin.

9018_100_3341.jpg

Latest posts