Hard Freeze Coming

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
silly mini frosts here almost embarassing to mention but enough to get me to cover all my lettuce herbs and greens with cold frames ..I am determined to havea garden fresh salad for new years :) even if I have to go and snuggle up with them at night!!!
:clap
I definitely want pictures of that. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We woke up to the nicest snowfall this morning. Not too much to keep you stuck in the house, but very pretty! They said the roads will get bad tonight though, with it freezing back up.

Broke, maybe you could try row covers. They are pretty quick and inexpensive to put up. Get ya some 1/2" pvc pipe, some 18" long sections of rebar that your pvc will fit over and some 6 mil clear plastic. Hammer the rebar in along side the rows like every 4 or 5 feet and make hoops with the pvc, maybe line sides of the rows with a little fresh manure and leaves if you have some, then cover with the plastic and hold down with lots of rocks/boards/etc.

I did this about a month or so ago and still have leaf lettuce going today.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We had our first hard frost this week as well. Now we're going to have to dig up the rest of the carrots still in the ground with a pick ax or something. Whoops! Got too busy baking, etc and kind of forgot. :idunno

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
oh JoJo I know those frozen carrots will be sweet as can be!!!

mine are wonderful now but I love them after a good freeze and plant some just to freeze..good luck with the pick ax!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
We had our first hard frost this week as well. Now we're going to have to dig up the rest of the carrots still in the ground with a pick ax or something. Whoops! Got too busy baking, etc and kind of forgot. :idunno
You know, JoJo, I'm still trying to figure out :hu what kind of growing conditions you have there.

And, you aren't making it any easier :hu by referring to a "first hard frost" as one that freezes the carrots in the ground so hard you have to use a pickax to get them out.

Heavens! A first hard frost doesn't need to be that HARD. And, about it being "first" - :hu weren't there OTHER frosts that killed all your tender plants before the 5th of December??

Steve
:( where the soil surface is frozen rock hard right now and the predicted lows all week are down to the single digitS' :(

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
jojo54 said:
You know, JoJo, I'm still trying to figure out :hu what kind of growing conditions you have there.

And, you aren't making it any easier :hu by referring to a "first hard frost" as one that freezes the carrots in the ground so hard you have to use a pickax to get them out.

Heavens! A first hard frost doesn't need to be that HARD. And, about it being "first" - :hu weren't there OTHER frosts that killed all your tender plants before the 5th of December??

Steve
:( where the soil surface is frozen rock hard right now and the predicted lows all week are down to the single digitS' :(
Ok, we did have some frosts earlier but not enough to kill some of the flowers. After we had all the rain, when it froze this time it froze deep. We've had a couple days of below zero C lately.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flower?

What's that?

. . . C's and F's: Tuesday morning it is supposed to be -16C, 2F.

Low digitS'

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew up in New England but now in my old age I would just die in anything in the minus degree!!!! omg I will not complain!!!

I am hoping for no snow at all

it was funny on the news this morning the Seattle reporter was showing us frost crunchy grass with her hands that was the big weather news on the Salish Sea!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
. . . I would just die in anything in the minus degree!!!! . . . .
Is that minus C or minus F, HiD?

The weather service doesn't go out that far but Accuweather is saying, no thawing until a week from today then snow . . . so that doesn't help.

Freezing fog is the norm the last few days.

My carrots are well covered not far from the back door. Parsnips are in the fridge waiting for me to break loose and wildly make some soup . . . !

S'

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
mmmmmm cream of parsnip soup with sourdough rolls :)

anything under 50F is minus enough causes me to put on 495837 layers..my husband makes fun of my socks (I wear 4 pairs of fluffy socks an it looks like I Have hugely swollen feet!) ..maybe having a few extra lbs is called for in the winter it pads me against the cold ? there is a plus!

this area is as cold as I get it is pretty cold tonight about 38F so far and I have to go out in it in a few min!

burrrrrrrr :)

my lettuce looks so good I am going out to toss a tarp over the cold frame now it is just weeks from being harvested! that and the spinach are doing great so far! but yes I cover everything anyway!!!

Latest posts