Hard Freeze Coming

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jojo54 said:
We had our first hard frost this week as well. Now we're going to have to dig up the rest of the carrots still in the ground with a pick ax or something. Whoops! Got too busy baking, etc and kind of forgot. :idunno
Man....that reminds me.....I have carrots in the ground too!!! :rolleyes:

Hope all yall enjoyed your snow down south. :p We've had our hard freezes already, but we got some snow this past week as well...it's a winter wonderland! Temps are in the 20's and 30's here....brrrr.....had to plug in the heated waterer for the chickens and collect the eggs before they froze!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
cwhit590, lucky you--you get the temps AND the snow!! Where WE live, we'll get all of the cold, but very little snow all winter. Even PEORIA gets more snow than us. Hit 20 for a low this morning, but dry as a bone. I'm enjoying the dry, though after this wet year.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well the cold is over. We didn't get snow but I heard the county north of me did and although it was cold for a few nights I think it has passed. I was working on the garden to day and I worked up a sweat in shorts and a t shirt.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We had our first frozen egg last night. I "winterized" the coop yesterday, but missed the egg since it wasn't in the nesting boxes. Still have some spinach and carrots in a cold frame; we'll see how long I can keep them going.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
cwhit590, lucky you--you get the temps AND the snow!! Where WE live, we'll get all of the cold, but very little snow all winter. Even PEORIA gets more snow than us. Hit 20 for a low this morning, but dry as a bone. I'm enjoying the dry, though after this wet year.
LOL...yup....thanks to Lake MI we get dumped on with extra 'lake effect' snow. Makes for good snowmobilling. :thumbsup
Having the whole lake effect is kinda nice as it helps moderate the temps too....it's supposedly Zone 6 along the lakeshore whereas further inland it's Zone 5.

obsessed - working outside today in shorts and a t-shirt? Lucky! :p I was bundled up w/ a T-shirt, fleece, and hoodie + jeans today when I went to go do chicken chores. :rolleyes:

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feel totally blessed to be living in the warmth again. I lived in Southern Cali most of my life (til 25) then moved to Montana for 2 years and now I am here. I love Cali weather. Montana was the most magical beautiful place but it was cold. And now here. Although the cold here is way colder than the Cold in Montana. It is humid so it goes to my bones. Thankfully it is only cold a few days a year. Not enough to kill the fleas or mosquitoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather service shows 8F (-13C) here this morning and there's a 17mph (27kph) wind.

I can't remember where you said that you lived in Montana, O. I thought that I'd be able to report that it is warmer in Montana's Garden City, Missoula (which almost never happens ;)) but now that I've checked . . . it's -1.

Supposed to be down around zero tonight. The wind makes things so much worse :rolleyes:. I've never paid any attention to the "magic" formula used to determine wind chill but one of the worse times I had with cold was when it was 2 and there was a 30+mph wind. I would have been happier with a still day and -15. It was brutal :/!

Steve

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I lived in Bozeman, MT about a 3 hour drive SE of Missoula. It is at about 5000 FT. I loved it there. It was not as windy as some places like Livingston, MT. I heard that hairspray was pointless there. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So you are saying, O, that hairspray in Livingston Montana ends up in southeastern Idaho?

;)

Bozeman is currently -11F . . . . just trying to make you a little more comfortable at finding yourself in Louisiana :).

It is usually so much more windy on the other side of the mountains but I was disappointed, when the TV weather guys started showing regional wind speed, that I live where the winds are usually higher than other communities.

I can almost understand why Missoula calls itself "Garden City" but it is mostly hype (okay, that's a challenge to you Montana gardeners :p). I mean, that community may be a big mountain valley but it's still above 3,000 feet.

The sun is out !! :cool:

Steve

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok it was 20F this morning I am assuming this counts as sort of cold ...lots of power outages due to windstorms! we heard a transformer blow yesterday while we were out in the garden securing things down and thought something in the house had blown up it shook the ground that hard
we were out of power for four hours just enough to gather things together and hunker ..then the power came on :p I kind of like the hunker time ..we read more books and actually talk to each other

Latest posts