Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00759_zpsb229a7b2.jpg

This morning :p.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's where I should post a photo of my dahlias and call it "this evening". They have certainly done well this summer, but are waning in blooms AND they need a good watering.

Those flowers are fantastic! Beautiful job, digitS!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How beautiful they are, planted en masse! I love it when you post pictures of your flowers, Steve.

I didn't have any dahlias this summer and I really missed them. I killed all of mine after the baby was born because I didn't get them planted out in time. Lost all my cannas and a couple of elephant ears too. *sigh* I will just enjoy yours for now. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will try to get some pictures of individual blooms.

There are none that are new this year, however. Only the dark red ones closest to the camera. They replace some dark red ones that were just too rambunctious for their neighbors that I had for a few years. I really can't pay too much attention to variety and height when I have so many - well, I don't want to ;). If there's one that will "bully" its neighbors - that just wasn't much fun. There are some little guys here at home where they can be "at the front of the bed." My "back of the beds" areas . . . I don't know where those are :/. I guess I could have closed off the neighbors with those old dark reds.

They are on full throttle right now but our weather is supposed be be stormy for a few days. I think I've got them tied up okay and we will just see what happens.

Steve :rainbow-sun

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can just imagine your smile every time you stand and look at all that beauty!! Just wonderful... I will try not to imagine your backache when it is time to dig those up!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, they are dug but they go right back in the same ground, next spring.

That means, the soil is already cultivated for them. Planting with a post hole digger (aka, the most hated tool on the farm) is a backache. Digging in the fall can be a slow & easy process. Cleaning while sitting on a stool in the backyard ain't much fun but it saves on weight going down to the basement.

I'm also a fan of gladiolas. I feel like I'm "gettin' 'er dun" working in the dirt. I dig a bed completely out to about 6" for the glads and am always glad to have 'em :p. Perennials are "weed traps" by comparison to these two!

You may be able to save the tubers from dahlias grown from seed. I've done that but it probably takes nearly ideal storage conditions for the little dahlias. I had some pom pons that were originally grown from seed.

Steve

Latest posts