Hello, Dahlia! Yes, Hello, Dahlia.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Yes, they are dug but they go right back in the same ground, next spring.

In regard to all that post hole digging I have a suggestion though of course not a cheap one. but, compared to all the chiropractor visits it may save you money. I have always been a lover of the MAntis tiller. I am on my forth one in 30 or so years . They last 10 to12 years.the smallest one is affordable. I bought the expensive one this last time, four cycle, which requires straight gas, no gas oil mix, which can be a pain. As a daylily breeder I have a lot of transplanting to do. The furrower attachment lets you make a good sized well pulverized trench in with I plant my daylilies at the appropriate depth and just fill in the trench. It takes a fraction of the digging time compared to hundreds of single holes. It may not be deep enough for you but may give you a good head start on all of that digging. They are guaranteed five years and are made in the USA .
Cj

That means, the soil is already cultivated for them. Planting with a post hole digger (aka, the most hated tool on the farm) is a backache. Digging in the fall can be a slow & easy process. Cleaning while sitting on a stool in the backyard ain't much fun but it saves on weight going down to the basement.

I'm also a fan of gladiolas. I feel like I'm "gettin' 'er dun" working in the dirt. I dig a bed completely out to about 6" for the glads and am always glad to have 'em :p. Perennials are "weed traps" by comparison to these two!

You may be able to save the tubers from dahlias grown from seed. I've done that but it probably takes nearly ideal storage conditions for the little dahlias. I had some pom pons that were originally grown from seed.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that they have a furrower, Cat'!

I have a little Honda that is the same size as a Mantis - 2nd one in my history. Yesterday, the Honda was out in the shady corner helping to put some weeds underground in the paths. The soil there isn't quite so rocky so I don't have the bucking bronco situation.

You know, the depth & width requirements of the glads should make a furrower useful :).

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are some of my dahlias this year -- thanks in part to tubers from RustyDHart this spring.

8843_img_0586.jpg
8843_img_0587.jpg

8843_img_0588.jpg
8843_img_0589.jpg

8843_img_0590.jpg
8843_img_0591.jpg

8843_img_0592.jpg
8843_img_0593.jpg

8843_img_0594.jpg
8843_img_0595.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Good Show, Lynn!

This morning, I told myself, "Myself, bring the camera!" Nope, forgot it! Here are some cellphone pictures:

downsize_zps82301f0c.jpg

A favorite. Do I remember the name? Nah . . .

downsize_zps8a52728b.jpg

It looks like half the garden is made up of these. But, if it wasn't, I may not be so interested to "Show 'n' Tell!" And, that's their name :p.

downsize_zpse3abfbf3.jpg

The 2nd year for this white dahlia. One plant in 2012 is now 4 plants in 2013 :).

I tried to get a shot of the new dark red and couldn't get the sunlight on the right side of an open flower.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that wild Show 'n Tell. I tend to fall for the spidery types, myself. Your white one is pretty rather like my red patio dahlia in petal formation. AND your freckles (the first photo) is an eye catcher as well.

My space is a small-ish kidney-shaped bed. We keep all the dahlias together there for ease of digging each fall. I'd love to have a display like yours, but this way I get to see and enjoy yours without the hours of digging to plant, tend, stake, and lift every year.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Yes, those are all beautiful! That white frilly petalled one is amazingly unusual.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NO!

Hybridizing dahlias? I wouldn't know how to go about it . . . My efforts with tomatoes may turn out to be a total flop. I was so intimidated by the tiny flower size that I could hardly make a start!

Okay. Dahlias are bigger. Where would I begin? Ack!There I go thinking about it!

Steve

Latest posts