Highjacking

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How 'bout:

Faithful002.JPG
And:
Faithful003.JPG

Took me awhile to find it but I could just use the picture & flip it, without trying to find font and making the image, myself :D.

Steve

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind and I find it even necessary if a thread will gather interest at all...conversation on a single topic can only go on for so long before it's a dead horse that's getting beat up.

I love a good hijacking.

To hijack the thread back to the ORIGINAL subject, I am of two minds about whether it's OK (and yes, I am aware of the hypocrisy of hijacking a thread to complain about hijacking) While I accept that the stream of conversation can often end up flowing in strange and meandering paths, it DOES sometimes bother me when subjects where I wanted to comment on the original subject matter have since veered off into who knows where. Makes it feel like I am intruding for trying to ask about what started the thread. At the same time, starting a new thread on the same subject seems repetitive.

I also have had some issues on some other fora with cases of people who would instantly hijack any thread I started to make it into a thread about them. Every time I made a thread talking about how something was growing in my garden (or asking a question) he would immediately chime in with some variation of "Forget your comments or questions, let me tell you about everything I AM doing (whether it bears any relevance to your issues or not). I also got annoying when I would ask a question or bring up a point and he would say "that is something I do not and do not need to worry about, so it should be no concern of anyone else."

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
chaos-to-order-jpg.11386

I can agree with @Pulsegleaner in that threads sometimes (very seldom) run from order to chaos.

I wrote several paragraphs about that. Then, tossed those on my flight with Bill Nye from the equator to the pole ... um, pillar to post ... You see, the Original Poster (NyBoy) was making the point that hijacking was okay. So, it was okay. Howsomeever ...

Oftentimes, the OP is starting a thread in order to gain information, not express benign tolerance. Look, any subject can be a bone of contention. Arguing about something someone says can quickly lead to chaos. The OP may never find any answers, especially if the subject really, really drifts.

Have an opinion? Express it ... But, allow the OP to decide on the validity and usefulness of each response. Nearly all of those contentious exchanges are between responders and come down to an agreement to disagree; which clearly means, "I'm right/you're wrong but I'm tired!"

Finally, dumping the research back on the OP isn't very helpful if that's someone's first response. If you feel impatient, it is probably best to not respond. We have lots of expertise here. Probably, if we were really patient in answering, even more folks would show up to respond to a thread. Of course, we don't want the OP to sail off from impatience, either ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't it true that T-day leftovers often taste better than the original?

DD is in charge of the turkey ... glaze with maple syrup, chili powder, horseradish, and mustard ... stuffing in a loaf pan.

I made a Carrot and Cheese Casserole with the boxes of stuffing mix! It was delicious - the next day ...

Steve
pirate3_zpsa8njoqij.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20161126_044645.jpg
Of course, that is a glacial lake so it's little more than cold water, rocks and a sprinkle of algae.

I mean, what does Confucius know!?

Steve :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally, dumping the research back on the OP isn't very helpful if that's someone's first response. If you feel impatient, it is probably best to not respond. We have lots of expertise here. Probably, if we were really patient in answering, even more folks would show up to respond to a thread. Of course, we don't want the OP to sail off from impatience, either ;).

Steve

I forgot about that little problem. THAT happens to me all of the time. In fact, it gets a little worse, since a lot of the time, the question I asked intrigues some other poster enough that they feel they have the right to demand I find them an answer (if it was that easy to find it, I'd have found it already and not asked the question) or that requires expenditure on the part of the OP to no benefit ("I don't know if X will grow for you, as you asked, but now I want to know if X will grow for me, so take/buy X and give it to me (in my case, often followed by "all of it") and then I'll try it out (and no, I won't give any of it back if it works, or agree to use the growing parameters you wanted*)"

* This last problem usually occurs mostly with corn. I am good at finding odd and interesting corns, but don't really have the space to grow them effectively so I am often looking for other people with more land/expertise who might be willing to help me. The problem is that most of the people who are in a position to grow corn on such a scale as is needed to make a new strain already have corn landraces/grexes of their own that they are working on. They are happy to take my seed, but they immediately simply put it into their own grexes which doesn't really accomplish anything (I have no problem with crossing, but feel that since pretty much anything I find is of questionable purity and stability, it is best to inbreed it for a few generation until you have something you can be pretty SURE is the stuff you actually want it to be, so simply throwing it at random into the mix as is doesn't really make sense.) and often leaves me on the hook for giving more than I want to (when nothing new happens, the grower often decides that the reason is that the amount of corn seed I sent was so small in comparison to the amount of other seed they put in that it got swamped out, and demands I sent them a larger amount to correct this problem, on the order of "every last kernel you have")

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no problem with the occasional hijack, but I would imagine people who are not a regular part of the forum would find our discussions pretty useless.
Maybe we should make more effort to bring the discussions back around to the OP's comments or questions eventually.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner , you are interested in the complexity of unusual varieties. Most of us are garden-variety. I have had just about 50 seasons of gardening but DW hijacks my choices!

You take my beans ... no wait! I want my beans! Does DW have any respect for my taste in snap beans? Precious little. I mean, this was someone who once thought that the only good tomatoes were tiny, red and round ... So, after filling allocated bean growing space with productive, attractive, rather insipidly-flavored bush beans of her choice, I've precious little space, strength and motivation - to plant what I like, somewhere else. If I do, I'll be the one harvesting them, alone. She will cook them ... after she finds me exhausted and collapsed at the foot of the back stairs, clutching my vegetables in my digitS'! Cooking for me alone. Which accomplishes little since it will take a decade of me growing whatever it is before there is the remotest chance that she will develop a new taste for something ...

Shelly beans!! Might work! If she is gonna have any at all - it will be through my initiative. Sometimes I will shell out some Rattlesnake but I really don't want them to reach that stage. What would be a good variety to deliberately grow for shelling from green pods? Tiger Eye?

Steve

I wish I was comfortable in winter boots ... wouldn't wearing UGG Yuccas or UGG Butte Bombers lighten one's step over the snow?!

Latest posts