Highjacking

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's mostly accurate, but not wholly. It's true that my first and foremost goal in a lot of my growing work is curiosity/ gene work (with my itsy-bitsy space to grow (and still less when you rule out the spots in permanent shade from the trees) I know I will NEVER get enough produce to use the garden as a significant source of food, so why bother treating it like that?) But every now and again I DO embark on a project I actually think might be of use to the world if it works. That playing around I do with the wrinkled soybeans isn't just for my own diversion, I really do believe that, if I can prove that soybeans can have the same wrinkled gene that peas do, and can isolate a population that is pure for it, I actually WILL have a newer sweeter soybean that will revolutionize the edamame market. I play around with sweetcorn kernels found on miniature cobs because I actually do think there might be a market for a baby sized corn on the cob for little kids to grow. The work with the rice beans and edible job's tears actually does have the goal of bringing these crops over to this country on a agricultural scale, both to decrease local costs and (in a trade issue) reduce our dependence on China for them (I also think it is possible that the introduction of edible Job's tears might be of use in the grain market for people who have an allergy to barley, since the Chinese use it in much the same manner.)

And of course, for things like the alternate colored rice beans and azukis there is the belief that I am saving them from extinction, since it seems to me that Asia (where they come from) does not seem to have a desire to.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner , you are interested in the complexity of unusual varieties. Most of us are garden-variety. I have had just about 50 seasons of gardening but DW hijacks my choices!

You take my beans ... no wait! I want my beans! Does DW have any respect for my taste in snap beans? Precious little. I mean, this was someone who once thought that the only good tomatoes were tiny, red and round ... So, after filling allocated bean growing space with productive, attractive, rather insipidly-flavored bush beans of her choice, I've precious little space, strength and motivation - to plant what I like, somewhere else. If I do, I'll be the one harvesting them, alone. She will cook them ... after she finds me exhausted and collapsed at the foot of the back stairs, clutching my vegetables in my digitS'! Cooking for me alone. Which accomplishes little since it will take a decade of me growing whatever it is before there is the remotest chance that she will develop a new taste for something ...

Shelly beans!! Might work! If she is gonna have any at all - it will be through my initiative. Sometimes I will shell out some Rattlesnake but I really don't want them to reach that stage. What would be a good variety to deliberately grow for shelling from green pods? Tiger Eye?

Steve

I wish I was comfortable in winter boots ... wouldn't wearing UGG Yuccas or UGG Butte Bombers lighten one's step over the snow?!

:yuckyuck

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have no problem with the occasional hijack, but I would imagine people who are not a regular part of the forum would find our discussions pretty useless.
Maybe we should make more effort to bring the discussions back around to the OP's comments or questions eventually.

Or a thread like this that we can get our random comments out of our system on, lol.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually WILL have a newer sweeter soybean that will revolutionize the edamame market.

I'm very much in favor :)!

Maybe we should make more effort to bring the discussions back around to the OP's comments or questions eventually.

I know I am very guilty of high jacking threads.

israel-thinker-figurine.jpg
Something to think about.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey NyBoy!

How are things ..

. going for you?

90cd3bb29771d6d1d6a71fa407cb5499.jpg
Steve
there was that punkin pie that went to the freezer ..! aaaaHHH, No!

Latest posts