How Much Do You Spend On Wild Bird Seed?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once friends from south America made me a birthday dinner. I never could figure out what the meat was and didn't want to ask. Never tasted anything like it.
If it was authentic South American fare it could have been guinea pig -- raised for their meat -- or a relative like the nutria or capybara. Another choice could be llama or one of its relatives.

Of course, they do raise a lot of beeves down there as well.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOLI don't think I really want to know what that birthday dinner was!! Seed we don't have Menards here. @Beekissed squab is usually king pigeon a meat breed, what I was wondering if wild dove taste different. People say wild turkey taste nothing like store bought turkey.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have eaten both.

Probably, a dozen plus times but in widely separated years. Still, I would say that they are very similar. If you are fortunate in shoot the young bird, that makes a difference.

I'd imagine that turkey - wild vs domestic - has a huge difference. I've been disappointed comparing wild and domestic goose, similar. Please with similarities between duck ... just my limited personal experience.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That kind of reminds me of something that happens around this time every year (well around the winter time which is getting pretty close). During my train rides into NYC I often try and get a window seat and pass my time watching the various waterfowl in the Hudson as we pass. This is particularly notable in winter/ During most of the year, we usually only have two kinds of wild (as opposed to feral) duck around (at least locally); mallards and crested mergansers. There may be the odd common merganser as well (I know I would see them from time to time up in Ithaca, but I'm not sure about here) but since from a distance a male common merganser and a male mallard look sort of similar, it's hard to tell. But during the winter we get two more types coming in, smews (at least I assume they're smews, the look like black and white versions of the hooded mergansers.) and a sprinkling of canvasbacks. they provide a nice bit of additional color in the winter. But every winter, as I see them I am also very glad that, as far as I know, people are not allowed to hunt ducks on the Hudson (at least not along the train track) with all of the other things I worry about on the ride, hunters taking potshots and peppering the windows with bullets should not be one of them! And I assume that, with the canvasbacks there, they would if they could (I seem to recall reading that, in terms of edibility, mallad rates only middling, and merganser (any of them) are all but inedible, but canvasback rates quite high.)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never eaten a diving duck.

Years ago, I read a recipe for coot. I took it as a challenge. Coots are common and an easy bag, if'n I had something to do with them.

Terrible! Even made the house smell bad ... that mud hen!

@Pulsegleaner , I did some quick searches for smews, on Wikipedia and Cornell, allaboutbirds. Are they, perhaps, feral ducks? Cornell has nothing on that name or the genus name. Wikipedia does not tell us that they are in North America.

Common Goldeneye is related and Wikipedia says they will cross breed.

Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could be. Looking over ducks it is possible that what I am seeing also may be buffleheads (at that distance, and in that light the iridescence might not be visible.) Those aren't supposed to taste all that good either.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOLI don't think I really want to know what that birthday dinner was!! Seed we don't have Menards here. @Beekissed squab is usually king pigeon a meat breed, what I was wondering if wild dove taste different. People say wild turkey taste nothing like store bought turkey.

Wild dove has a better flavor profile due to the more varied diet and the age of the bird.

Wild turkey also has a better flavor profile than commercially raised due to their varied diet and age, much like home grown DP breed chickens have a deeper, nuttier flavor than the CX broiler birds.

They also have more texture to the meat, so many would stop at that point and not want to consume them, but we prepare them differently here....we cut off the breast, cut butterfly steaks off it, roll them in flower and fry it, then cook the rest for soup. The saying is, for wild turkey, "Fry the breast, stew the rest."

There isn't much better meat out there than wild turkey breast fried in such a manner. And the dark meat and stock made from the rest of it is far, far superior to commercially raised, injected with saline, turkeys.

Latest posts