I Rode My Horse Today

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, A animal shelter is more to comfort the owner ... A horse will, more likely than not ,naturally hang out under a tree than in a barn when given a choice even in the rain or snow or in the afternoon sun. Just think what a horse did for millions of years ( or even todays' "mustangs" ) before man came along . Just sayin ! ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, I think you need a barn so that you can sleep better. I'm not saying that factiously. It will also be easier to do barn chores in the winter when you are covered. But what do I know, I'm not an "expert". ;)

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule - HOOP HOUSE! :)

DSCF0170.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters I remember your solution to the mud around your barn and your hoop horse house. I intend on doing that exact same thing. I even have the cow panels! If I make it ugly enough, I won't be pacified into "that's good enough for now" and will get a real barn put up! :lol:

@bobm during hurricanes, the horses had options. The neighbors gave them access to their 20 acres of pasture and their barn, as well as our 16 acres of woods and a 3 sided shed. Mostly, they chose to stay out in the open except when the rain got real hard, then they went in the barn. I always figured they knew where they felt the safest, rather than me locking them up in a barn or small pen.

@ninnymary I may not get a barn put up immediately, but a barn is definitely on my "important" list! :thumbsup

First of all, is a FENCE!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's always good to give them options. Mine always preferred to stand under cover. Even my wild range horse. He probably figured he'd had enough of roughing it and he wanted to be dry.

The mini had one of those hoop shelters for two years and it worked great. This year dh built a 3 sided shelter for him and the little mule.
It's nice, but as close to a real barn as I suppose I'll ever get.

I painted it barn red though, so if I squint real hard....

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
.....I need to ride my horse.....
She's old so I feel sorry for her for bothering her.
But she needs something to do, but IDK WTF I'm doing and so not confident...
lol
I miss riding, so much fun once you're in the moment and keep doing it regularly!

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are both touching stories, thank you for sharing them! Most of our animals were abandoned and/or abused strays and have taken a lot of time and effort in order to develop trust. They still have issues we work around. It's so good to know there are others who will care for them.

Latest posts