If You Made broth from Your Turkey Watch This

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, what kind of turkeys do you have and are you going to sell poults when you hatch? Or just raise them for your own use or for growing a flock?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, what kind of turkeys do you have and are you going to sell poults when you hatch? Or just raise them for your own use or for growing a flock?

I've got Bourbon Reds. I've been trying to find a high quality tom for breeding. I've found 3 serious breeders "near" here, between 5 to 7 hours away in KY and PA and will probably opt to have hatching eggs mailed to me instead of driving to pick up live birds. Then I'll go from there, working to start selecting for my own flock and sell poults in the following year. My intention is to raise a dozen or so turkeys for our freezer and sell the extra poults.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the Bourbon Reds are beautiful birds! If you can't find buyers for your poults, I'd be interested in getting a couple to raise for fall as well. What price would you have on them, you think?

Got a pic of your birds?

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
BEE
Around here we sell our Royal Palm toms for $25 each, hoping at that price no one is buying them to eat but only as pets or breeding stock.
We've never sold a poult or a hen so I have no Idea of what they'd go for.

THANX RICH

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
McMurray Hatchery has them for $11.88 and Meyer has them for $10.75/ea (plus shipping). I believe the turkey poults they sell at Tractor Supply were going for $7 or $8, but I'm not sure what breed that was. The man I bought these from sold them to me 6 for $40 ($6.66/ea.), but he said he had hatched these just for fun and to see what his fertility rate might be. He later sold his whole flock of turkeys and decided to focus on breeding White Rock chickens instead. I'm not really sure yet what I should sell them for. I have a little software program for tracking and calculating your chicken expenses, so I will take a look at that too. From what I understand, turkeys have a slower laying rate, which has something to do with why poults are more expensive than chicks.

I've seen pastured heritage breed turkeys going for $55 each plus a $15 butchering fee. I know a couple who sell pastured turkeys and CX chickens. He works for the ag extension and teaches FFA at the high school. I think I will be picking their brains for more info next time I see them.

Here's a pic I took 3 weeks ago. They are 16 weeks old now and feathering out more. This one in front is dominant and will usually display like a tom, especially if a cat follows me into the barn. :)

IMGP1594b_web.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts