Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got some sunflower seeds in some flats, @Wishin' . I thought I was about the only person who did that. They transplant out fairly well and it's all part of my "instant garden" efforts.

I have begun Dancing with Starts . It is just barely freezing at this very moment. Can't trust that weather guy saying it would be around 40 this morning!

The onions are in the hoop house but they have been in the backyard Sweet Spot thru several days. They did experience the greenhouse heater for a few days in March but mostly have not been pampered with any heat since the seed was sown in February.

Sure, they can take some frost and are likely to experience some once they are out in the garden. I don't think that there is any benefit to that and will give them the benefit of a little dancing early and late, in and out of the hoop house.

They have been joined by quite a bit of lettuce, now. I figure lettuce is always involved in this sort of spectacle.

Steve

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am really exited about my sunflowers,:celebrate I can't wait to plant my purple ones, and the Russian mammoth. I was laughing at myself because I am constantly seeing varieties I really want, but I have limited space. :( so I have already got a list for next year's sunflower varieties, and I haven't even gotten this year's started.:lol:

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hah, wishin - you're too funny with the planning for next year! I am a planner but not that far ahead! :)

My seedlings were quite content in the greenhouse yesterday, the high was 88 and I definitely feel like they did some growing in that nice warmth! So did the weeds in my greenhouse, so I worked on that for a bit last night. Also up-potted the brussel sprouts (5) that I've been babying since early January!

Unfortunately nothing has sprouted in my marigold jiffy pots! It is old seed...maybe I need more patience too...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If ALL the little beefsteak tomato seedlings live, I'll have about 50. No pictures, but my "greenhouse" lettuce is emerging after 1 1/2 weeks on the porch sill, my inside spinach has started to emerge after about 3 days, and I put some starter soil and cabbage seeds in a used French Onion Dip container with starter soil. Yes, Virginia, I wrote on them so I can tell them apart. =b

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ha, I guess I will have to try some sunflowers in flats, I think some critter digs them as fast as I plant 'em outside, they never come up!

Here's my mess .. it's taken a long time and a lot of little plant sales to accumulate all this stuff! Two of the racks are used in my craft trailer the rest of the year. About a third of this is for me, some is sold, and the rest is for the kid's gardens and mom's Mother's Day gift of 4 flats of annuals.

Hoping to get it all moved to the porch soon! We have about a month til planting out. Got to start the vining crops today I think.

Picture 9614.jpg

Picture 9612.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really, really nice, @Lavender2 !

I was just thinking yesterday how I use a few things for 1 purpose now and something different later. You are probably on a whole nuther level than I am.

What will be the "vining crops?"

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Wishin' and @digitS' .
Vining crops- just some cucs, cantaloupe, a couple pumpkin, and some climbing spinach. I don't have a lot of room left in the garden... well, unless it gets bigger, again! :cool:

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finally started my sunflowers :weee
I had five packets of different varieties, two of them were supposed to have four different varieties, but when I opened them up there were six distinctly different seeds in the one, and the other had a lot more (didn't count), and one of the single varieties had two different types. :ya:celebrate:ya:celebrate I am going to be in sunflower heaven this summer :weee:th:celebrate:weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wish I'd put down somewhere the date I first begin to move the tomatoes out of 4-packs and into pots.

Well anyway, these and another flat had reached "Flop Day" so they came out of those 4-packs:

I had just done a bunch of Early Girls out of their community container yesterday and have 5 tiny tomato seedlings that have just sprouted! Boy, am I betwixt and between this time around! Oh, it should be okay. I did make a change with the Early Girls. Only some went in 4-packs, 48/flat. I'm trying the "deep 6-packs," 36/flat to see if they can stay in those right up until setting out. I don't think it will change much of the way I do things because it is a good thing and must have been a great relief to the floppy tomatoes in the picture (Goliath & Big Beef) to get out of that 48/flat and into pots at 18/flat.

They are a little floppy in the pots yet but should be straightening up in a day or two.

Difficult weather this afternoon: 3 showers with wind, sun breaks that heat up the greenhouse in an instant, then another huge cloud blows in. It has made it up to 56°f outdoors and that's a tad warmer than I'd expected but I've been opening/closing vents, turning fans on/off ever since I thought I was gonna come in the house and rest from all the slinging of the potting soil :\. Gets me out of a trip to the soopermarket with DW, anyway :).

Steve

Latest posts