Inside Starts, Yours & Mine

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those look good Steve :thumbsup I have to say it is amazing how quickly the plants grow each time they are transplanted. My tomatoes barely lost their seed cover when I transplanted them from their jiffy starts, to a Styrofoam cup of compost dirt, and the next day they are a quarter inch taller, and have their real leaves. Same thing with the broccoli. I love watching the plants grow :) I wish I had a time lapse camera.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
DH put two "soldier" tomato plants outside. We used the auger to dig a 3 ft. deep hole, augmented w/manure at the very bottom, then planted 4 inches below the soil line, covered with a glass jar and filled. There are a few days of predicted below 32 mornings this week, our average last frost is April 15th, but I think they'll make it. IMHO, the tomatoes that I am nurturing above the radiator in the south window will be bigger and stronger than these.
I "greenhoused" some sugar snap peas--the ones outside refuse to emerge!!. I started cauliflower and nasturtiams. Tonight, I'm gonna fill two started greenhouses with sweet corn. I figure, if I've seen it for sale started inside, I can do that, too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've set out corn plants, Ducks'.

It was just to see how it would work.

Works Fine!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They grow!

2870ja1.jpg

In the early morning light several weeks ago.

2ntzds6.jpg

After flopping, up-potting and in the early morning light, moments ago. Same tomatoes.

Steve
this tablet camera may be a little better than the phone but i ain't convinced.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! They're looking so good! Yours are way, way, ahead of mine.
I think I probably set them back a bit by rushing their in and out schedule.
They look a little depressed this morning.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ha :lol: your starts are putting mine to shame, I should go have a talk with them.And to think I was admiring how nicely mine have grown. :rolleyes: How old are yours?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, I really need to learn from you how to do starts from seeds. Maybe, I'll start with lettuce since some pest seems to be eating mine as soon as they sprout in the ground.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are 6 weeks from sowing. I'll likely be trying to slow the tomatoes down, soon.

Mary, I start lettuce for transplanting from a couple weeks ago to way late. Once they go out in the garden they have to deal with whatever place I've got for them. Wind, burning sun . . . the dang sprinklers beating them up! Think how it must be for emerging seedlings or, those shallow-planted seeds!

In a container, in the backyard Sweet Spot, they are right beside my backsteps. If I can't keep track of them there, I can't do it anywhere! And, lettuce transplants well. I use little clumps of 4 or 5. If I can get the weather to cooperate, they can be set out on the best days - cool and cloudy.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not all of the tomato plants are at the same stage of growth:
0414140947_zpse078d50_edit_1397494384457_zpsnfo2xscp.jpg

back in the south window & with the cellphone camera

Coyote may as well stay in the shadows. I planted 5 seeds of each and have 4 Casey's seedlings. The single Coyote cannot break free of the seed case :\. Guess I'll try that seed in '15 and expect not too good of viability.

Oh, those are eggplants beyond. They have been under the greenhouse bench since being moved out of a cookie box. I figure they would enjoy the more consistent temperatures in the house for awhile.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you've inspired me to try lettuce again from seeds. I've discovered that rolly polly's are eating them as soon as they sprout. But if I plant starts the lettuce seems to servive. Today, I planted 2 six-packs with lettuce seeds. I used potting soil since that's all I have and left them outside. I figured since they sprout in the ground they should be ok outside. They are on my deck where hopefully no pests can eat them. Hope I did good. :fl

Is there anything organic that I can use for those rolly pollys?

Mary