It's almost official 258 Pots is now a spot on the map...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horns on goats.... if you will find the thread I started about duct tape, there is a link to BYH. a doe was sharpening her horns to daggers and her horns were sugerically removed. Her head was wrapped in duct tape. Lots of pics and information. Sorry I can't get the link on this phone.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would disbud them. We had a range doe my folks bought at auction for our first milk goat and she had a nice set of them, but you had to be careful of her throwing her head around. She whacked me in the head a time or two and it was a memorable hurt. I always worried about her catching my face.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Regarding keeping track of your deaf dog 'Lee, you can hang a small goat bell on his collar. I kept track of my JRT that way, so I didn't always have to have my eyes glued to him.
My wife had saved some "bear" bells we had for two previous dogs, they have a nice quiet but soft ring, that just softly rings as they move. Perfect idea, we put them on both dogs and when Milton decided to go over to the highway we had time to get out and get his attention, so great idea!

The horns, I hate declawing, I wouldn't dock or crop, I just don't like interfering with nature for my convenience, struggling with this...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Technically you are already "interfering with nature" by keeping a goat for your use. It's wise management once you're already in the position of taking responsibility to care for that animal to insure the safety of yourself and other animals. Horns are not always dangerous of course, but you might be gambling on the one time the animal will be irritated and hook you or one of your dogs. In my opinion a goat, even with horns, will be no real match for a predator.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You also have to worry about them possibly getting their heads stuck in the fence when they have horns. If you can get someone who knows what they're doing to do it for you while they're still babies, they are over it quite quickly.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife had saved some "bear" bells we had for two previous dogs, they have a nice quiet but soft ring, that just softly rings as they move. Perfect idea, we put them on both dogs and when Milton decided to go over to the highway we had time to get out and get his attention, so great idea!

The horns, I hate declawing, I wouldn't dock or crop, I just don't like interfering with nature for my convenience, struggling with this...
One of my neighbor's sister owned a weathered , horned goat to keep her gelding horse company as pasture ornaments. One day, that goat punctured the horse's underside and into it's gut. Unbeknown to her until a day or two later when the horse's gut contents got into it's abdominal cavity and peritonitis set in causing HORRIBlE infection. The horse had to be put down. Disbudding is not only for personal convenience, but GOOD ANIMAL HUSBANDRY !

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score

One of my neighbor's sister owned a weathered , horned goat to keep her gelding horse company as pasture ornaments. One day, that goat punctured the horse's underside and into it's gut. Unbeknown to her until a day or two later when the horse's gut contents got into it's abdominal cavity and peritonitis set in causing HORRIBlE infection. The horse had to be put down. Disbudding a goat's horns is not only for personal convenience , but GOOD ANIMAL HUSBANDRY....

Last edited:

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My wife and discussed it and we are not going to disbud, may cause problems down the road we understand.

And if we end up with male kids I am not sure I am going to bother banding either, because once they make weight they are destined for the freezer...

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh poor me I'm working ten straight twelves then once thats done I go on "vacation" for spring planting, hour 6 of day four, tick, tock, tick, tock...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A male goat can breed long before he is freezer meat. These are domestic animals. Letting them "run wild and natural" is irresponsible and a recipe for disaster. Get over it. If you are going to keep livestock, there are certain care procedures you must do. If you don't want to disbud, then that is your choice, just be aware there can be not so happy endings. Maybe a polled breed would be better.

Castration. Must. Be. Done. Or else butcher the little stinkers at 2 months old. Many animals, if left intact, become dangerous. These are the things of real farm life that seem to get left out of the rosy story book pictures. Ignoring them doesn't make them go away. It is all part of animal husbandry. The cute little bottle buckling you raised has no fear of you and likely no respect either. An intact male thinks sex, food,sex, water,sex and more sex. It's just how they are wired. And goats get started real early.

I don't mean to sound hard on you, just don't want you to make a mistake that could get you or your wife hurt. When people on here offer advice, it comes from a caring place. Many of us have or have had animals and speak from experience. Aaaaand many of are experts (EX-has been, SPURT-drip) so we're a bunch of washed up used to be's. LOL LOL

Latest posts