It's almost official 258 Pots is now a spot on the map...

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Very nice piece of land, 'Lee.

Drinking goat's milk is quite an experience. I used to have it very, very fresh - so sweet.

Goat meat reminds me of duck. Seems like such an odd comparison but I had this impression every time.

Steve
We bought some local raw, and wow, sweet and creamy, but at 9.60 a gallon I think the goat is cheaper...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We pay $9.00 a gallon here too. But there is only one grade A certified goat milk dairy in our region. We really want goats too and can buy saanen does from the dairy folks, bred to milk. But we are just not ready for them yet. I only have an acre, so fencing will have to be done "nice, tight and right" or else I'll just spend my days chasing goats. So many projects, so little time... :\

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have two acres and have yet to install a perimeter fence (when I have an extra 6K laying around). I plan on making a pen with 47" 6" pull red brand field fence. I am going to put the bracing on the outside and I think I can make it hold... I will post pictures as I go. Right now I am in the beginning of a 10 day work stretch so not much happens during the 12 hours I am not working for the next bunch of days...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two acres and have yet to install a perimeter fence (when I have an extra 6K laying around). I plan on making a pen with 47" 6" pull red brand field fence. I am going to put the bracing on the outside and I think I can make it hold... I will post pictures as I go. Right now I am in the beginning of a 10 day work stretch so not much happens during the 12 hours I am not working for the next bunch of days...
Lee , That 47 1/2" field fence might keep your beasties in ... but NO hungry predators ( nor neighbor's dogs looking for a good time run ) OUT. Just like chicken wire will keep a chicken in , but NO predators out. These type of fences are just a small detour to a tastey dinner ! :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fencing is costly. We bought a home on 8 acres and are fencing a little at a time. We fenced 2-3 acres for the horses and are now going for another stretch.

We're using non climb horse wire, to keep our animals in and others out. A 200'x48" roll of 2"x4" is $220. Using 7' T-post with 2 strands of barb wire on top for a 5' tall fence.

Because we know, as bobm pointed out, coyotes and dogs can jump, we have 2 livestock guardian dogs. After we get more fencing done, we'll get hair sheep and put the dogs to work.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horns or no, a goat can and will defend itself... but more often then not, become injured or dinner for the dog or coyote. That includes the other farm animals too.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Lee , That 47 1/2" field fence might keep your beasties in ... but NO hungry predators ( nor neighbor's dogs looking for a good time run ) OUT. Just like chicken wire will keep a chicken in , but NO predators out. These type of fences are just a small detour to a tastey dinner ! :drool
Yep and and this little sweetie is gonna be their "pen" pals... She is rapidly taking to the farm dog life, today while working on a chicken tractor she just laid down in the shade, she used to be a trouble maker, My older deaf smart dog laid down in the nice cool shade of the barn, I have to keep track of him. We were off leash a month ago and he got about 100 yards away, upwind and facing the other way, He started tracking our trail back to the car and I had to run to get his visual attention, I need a perimeter fence...

Attachments

• IMG9501261.jpg
    IMG9501261.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 211

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I do not want to disbud, I think I am going to pass and let their horns grow... My wife and I will argue...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding keeping track of your deaf dog 'Lee, you can hang a small goat bell on his collar. I kept track of my JRT that way, so I didn't always have to have my eyes glued to him.

Latest posts