Just broke ground on a fallow field of weed trash, now should I fertilize?

Should I fertilize?

• Yes, use the free horse manure.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Yes, spend money you don't have on expensive stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, be lazy and wonder what could have been.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're in Idaho? Where abouts? I'm between CDA and Sandpoint.

I'm not going to answer the question because I know what I'd do and I don't want to encourage you to make a bad move. Listen to the much more patient and wise gardeners here.

That's a good price on the soil test from that lab Monty linked to. The Idaho Extension soil test will run about $30.
I'm in New Plymouth, about 1/2 mile from the Payette, light brown gray soil, not sandy or clay. The horse manure I can get is two or three years composted.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I'd get the free poo. But you should still listen to the wiser gardeners here. You're going to have several years of weed headaches no matter what anyway, so the weeds that the horse manure contains will just blend in....

A soil test for 14 bucks is a bargain! Do that first.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have horses and you durn betcha I use that "free" manure! LOL Need motivation? Just picture all those scrumptious fresh vegetables you will be eating! Get off your dead butt, grab that pitchfork and shovel and go get that garden gold!

And a BIG TEXAS HOWDY!!!! Welcome to the forum, can't wait to hear more about your garden!

Got no $$$? We don't care and we like you anyway. If you need seed, just say so and you will get offers from the many TEG members here.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if it's already composted manure, I'd go for it. I wouldn't pass on free manure. I've also had good gardens on newly broken ground without adding anything in before. You'll not know for sure without a soil test, but if the weeds were healthy and lush, you're probably fine.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did that too about 3 years ago. I had a brushy area tilled up in the fall and planted it without amendments the next spring. It's been improving every year, but that first season wasn't too impressive.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you can get the poo do it. but it does need to be composted or it could burn the plants. i've done coop clean out mid winter or late fall and that seems to give enough time to compost, but be aware of any local laws if you're using this manure on ground growing stuff to be sold to others. i thought someone posted a story of a law changing that you have to apply fertilizers about 270 days before planting commercial crops.

you can pick up some soil tests kits for relatively cheap. they are just like the aquarium/pool test kits that you add a sample of soil, add some water and then add the reactive chemical to get an idea of the pH.

there is also a simple way to check your composition of sand/loam/clay/silt. fill a clear jar with a couple inches of 'dirt' and fill the jar about 3/4 way with water. seal the jar and shake/swirl it around for a few minutes (careful if this is glass), let it settle for about a couple hours till the water in the jar is nearly clear again. heavy sand particles will sink to the bottom, next level will be the silt and the next clay. measure the total height of the sample then the height of each layer. you can figure out the percentages this way. sand is good for drainage but you don't want the sample to be all sand. if it is then you want to add compost/organic material/animal poo to help fertilize. too much clay and not enough of the other 2 components means the ground won't drain and ground too heavy for roots to grow.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're in Idaho? Where abouts? I'm between CDA and Sandpoint.

I'm not going to answer the question because I know what I'd do and I don't want to encourage you to make a bad move. Listen to the much more patient and wise gardeners here.

That's a good price on the soil test from that lab Monty linked to. The Idaho Extension soil test will run about $30.
I'm in New Plymouth, I'd bet you'd put down the manure? I plan on tilling it in.

258 Pots

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have horses and you durn betcha I use that "free" manure! LOL Need motivation? Just picture all those scrumptious fresh vegetables you will be eating! Get off your dead butt, grab that pitchfork and shovel and go get that garden gold!

And a BIG TEXAS HOWDY!!!! Welcome to the forum, can't wait to hear more about your garden!

Got no $$$? We don't care and we like you anyway. If you need seed, just say so and you will get offers from the many TEG members here.

I could use seeds, looking for a lot of general seeds, and really need root veggies (turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, beets etc,)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first garden was lawn the year before. Fighting the re-grown grass was discouraging.. but DON'T GIVE UP. Think of the first year (or 2) as prep for the Major League Super Garden you're going to end up with.
Spend most of your time and energy improving the soil for future gardens and you'll be rewarded for years to come.

Latest posts