Just broke ground on a fallow field of weed trash, now should I fertilize?

Should I fertilize?

• Yes, use the free horse manure.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Yes, spend money you don't have on expensive stuff.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, be lazy and wonder what could have been.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put your emphasis on how you will keep the weeds from returning for the first year or so, XtreemLee. You don't want them overwhelmingly your veggies. Set things up to make weeding as quick and easy as possible. It's a big garden.

Perennial weeds like quackgrass and bindweed will be right back after a tilling. You have to stop every piece of their roots from growing until you are rid of them.

Even then, they can come back! One university report I was reading said that bindweed seed can lie dormant in a field for over 25 years and still be viable. By the way, I didn't have bindweed show up in one garden I had until I brought in a truckload of cow manure. The plants, apparently, had been growing in the corral.

The seedlings are not hard to kill. Annual weeds like lambsquarters are not hard to kill ... in the first few weeks after the seeds germinate. They become progressively more difficult to take out as time goes by. Leave that perennial bindweed seedling long enough and it will store enuf energy in those tuff to kill roots that tilling will just break and scatter them so that they multiply.

I can say that I much prefer having my gardens in beds but I would not do that unless I had some clear idea of what the weed situation would be on my new, "70' by 100'" garden.

Here is Wishing You a great season and continuing success!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If you till it in and then hand work it you can use it. I have been a horse owner for 30 years and I've used my stall waste in my own gardens.
Tilling will mix the mulch with the existing soil.
Hand working it will aerate the mix. If you till alone it will try to compact. The soil as is, is already compacted.
Send us muscle pictures after you do all of this. Maybe someone will send you a bottle of Tylonel. :rolleyes:
You may have to rethink your planting plans for 2015. You will still have weed seeds to contend with. I recommend securing black plastic on sections for planting for a full 6 weeks to "solarize" the soil. It will still be very fertile, but it will kill any seeds present in the soil.
I buy construction grade 33 gallon garbage bags and cut them open in a square, then I use bricks to secure it down. Cheapest option, especially when on sale.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to be Debbie Downer here, but I just want to caution you on taking on too big a job. If you have never gardened before AND your space has never been a garden before AND you want to be as organic as possible, perhaps a smaller space would be more practical. You may get it all tilled and raked and lovely, then a spring rain sprouts a couple million seeds and root pieces, and it will look like a meadow. :th
By all means use the well-composted horse manure/straw, maybe till it in, then get more to use as mulch as the crops start coming up. Or as ducks4you suggested, solarize your planting areas. Maybe use cardboard and compost or straw in the paths, too, to suppress weeds.

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to use the search feature to get all the good info that we have brought up in the past.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I vote with canesisters. Consider this garden practice for the real thing and plant away. This first year you will be battling weeds, but you will still get plenty of produce. Each year the soil should get healthier, the weeds fewer and you smarter.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been in the horse breeding business for 37 years ... 30 +/- horses. with 20 acres of pasture ( 20 years ago this C. Cal. property was arid , high desert open range land with 6 types of soil eroded from the mountains just 1 mile away,with every type of weeds imaginable ) and I also feed over 100 tons of alfalfa hay plus 20 tons of grain per year. This translates to mucho road apples ( poop er. manure or better yet fertilizer ). :ep Since none of my crops, much less pasture grasses, read the book to only use well composted horse manure, but always seen other greenery friends and relatives immediately grow big and tall right next to and through fresh cow patties and horse road apple piles :hugs :ya ... For my 30' x 50 ' garden for the first year,I only concentrated on preparing the soil to correct the soil imbalance, tilth, and eliminate as many weed seeds as possible to save on labor on future crops. I first covered it with 6 inches of a week's worth of fresh horse manure with wood shavings right out of the barn , disced it in, covered with another 6" of manure, disced, another 6" manure, disced in, watered and then let the weeds grow to 2-4" disced in, watered again, let weeds sprout then disced again. All the while adding fresh manure daily right from the barn. At each discing I also added some ammonium sulfate to aid in decomposition of the manure as the rangeland erosion soil was deficient in just about everything and basic. By fall most of the weeds are gone, so the garden area was ready for another discing and then winter crops and cover crops were planted followed by edible crops in the spring. Every spring I add at least a 1" to 2" solid cover of fresh horse manure right out of the barn onto the garden, disc it in, form the rows, plant, irrigate and the garden turns green, lush and very productive. Then, daily I took wheelbarrow fulls out of the barn and spread the manure 1" to 2" thick out in the pasture then when the winter/ spring rains come, the pasture grasses immediately start to grow through the manure at least 2 times taller as the surrounding grasses. :cool:

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can get a mixture of horse manure with mixed in straw and wood shavings for the price of the work of moving it.

Soil, pH? um dirt, does anyone Idahoan know of the best source for soil tests?

Weeds where heavy in spots where the water gathered, otherwise not total ground cover in 8 years of laying fallow... I'm quite certain it needs something/anything, I have to stay organic and have squat so I'm thinking of warming up the pitchfork and shovels...

Wait, wait wait. You don't want any high nitrogen based material mixed with any carbon rich material. Carbon material goes on top of your nitrogen rich material or you will end up with nitrogen lockup beneath the soil surface.
  1. nitrogen will get locked up in the carbon and not be plant available
  2. if you have plenty of nitrogen that isn't plant available then you will still need to fertilize
The next thing is, why not just no till the bed? Do you like a lot of work?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I seldom use a tiller in my raised beds anymore, but doing no till on a brand new garden plot? That would be a tough one without using something like Round-Up. The weeds and grasses have a head start, I vote tilling and raking before planting. No till can come in future years.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait, wait wait. You don't want any high nitrogen based material mixed with any carbon rich material. Carbon material goes on top of your nitrogen rich material or you will end up with nitrogen lockup beneath the soil surface.
  1. nitrogen will get locked up in the carbon and not be plant available
  2. if you have plenty of nitrogen that isn't plant available then you will still need to fertilize
The next thing is, why not just no till the bed? Do you like a lot of work?

This isn't fresh material he's talking about, he mentioned that it had been composted for 2 or 3 years. My opinion (just based on my own meager experience ) is that it will be just fine to till all that material in.
He's building from the ground up in a manner of speaking.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This isn't fresh material he's talking about, he mentioned that it had been composted for 2 or 3 years. My opinion (just based on my own meager experience ) is that it will be just fine to till all that material in.
He's building from the ground up in a manner of speaking.

Oh I missed that. Good.

Latest posts