Latest chicken adventure...very pic heavy...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Today was the longest day of chicken chores so far. I knew I had to get the CX out of the small brooder and into something larger. So, I decided to finally get the old shed repaired and convert it into a chicken coop. I got up early and headed off to Lowes. On the way back I stopped at TSC. Finally, the moment I was waiting for...CX on sale for $.99 each! I was hoping for $.75 but I wasn't going to wait for them to come down any more. I bought all they had left, which turned out to be 20. Now I really had a problem. Twenty new chicks and nowhere to put them. Fortunately, I was planning ahead while at Lowes ;)

I got home and put the new chicks into the temporary box I used last time and put them under a lamp in the bedroom. Time to go to work:

The shed was in pretty bad shape. Most of the problem was with the doors and the front area of the floor:

DSC00233_zpsc1b8cb5f.jpg

DSC00226_zps918868d6.jpg

DSC00227_zps8b8e5f59.jpg

I tore the front off and removed the rotten floor and joists:

DSC00235_zps42a3f396.jpg

DSC00237_zpsfce9229a.jpg

Then I replace the rotten joist and floor:

DSC00239_zps1d663146.jpg

Next I framed in a new front wall and covered it. I was running out of time so I threw a quick door together and hung it. I'm not worried about a chicken door just yet:

DSC00245_zpscbf782f5.jpg

DSC00247_zpsd50276a5.jpg

I installed a two bay brooder. One side is for the new chicks, the other for the older CX chicks:

DSC00249_zpsbdd5e717.jpg

Now to add some chicks:

DSC00257_zps2569e4e7.jpg

and the older ones:

DSC00256_zpscdf1307e.jpg

All told, it took 12 hours from start to finish. Everyone is much happier. The layers have their own brooder and don't have to fight the giants for their dinner. The older CX have a lot more room to move around, and the new babies have plenty of room to get started. It was well worth the trouble

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
WooHoo! Nice job! The chickens will be very happy in there! That was a great days work... Keep us posted on your progress!

shadetree

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Good days work.

New roof and some ventilation in the front may be in order. Are you going to let these monsters run outside?

Have you considered Fermented Feed? It is said it increases protein by ~12% and decreases odor immensely along with gut health. Go to BYC under meaties and look at Beekissed's information on Fermented Feed for more information.

Looks great. I look forward to watching your progress.

henry

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
great work monty. really nice shed. you're so smart to create two brooders like that.
i'm wrestling w/one brooder. i'm going to get some babies on Monday. I have yet to get their brooder lined out. I think I've decided on the dog crate. i'll wrap it so it won't have drafts. delawares/buff orp/wyandottes - it'll be good.

Latest posts