Latest chicken adventure...very pic heavy...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks folks!

Mary--I am very glad I got it done. Fortunately, the shed was in better shape than I thought.

Thistle--The weather was excellent. Temps in the low 40's, but sunny and no wind made for a great day to work outside. Now with snow comming later today and tomorrow, I guess it's back to winter again.

Ridge--Good eye. All of my power tools are either Milwaukee or DeWalt. I prefer Milwaukee over DeWalt, but can't always find the tool I need when I need it in the Milwaukee variety so I settle for DeWalt. All of my air nailers are Porter Cable. My framing nailer is pretty heavy, as most are, but it's no different than swinging my 28oz Estwing all day. They will both wear you out. The big difference is the oops factor. If your swinging a hammer and have an oops it's much easier to get the nail back out!

Bj--I actually now have three brooders. I'm moving the layers into the coop today so all of the chickens are in the coop under one roof.

Journey, Major--I think the happiest chicks are the layers! They are probably pretty glad to not have to fight the CX for something to eat!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
From impulse buy to certified chicken farmer in .. what?.. 2 weeks?? CONGRATS! Your 'super brooder' looks great!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I finally succumbed to temptation to, what I thought was, look at a bunch of chicks. There was that but . . .

. some fine repair work, too!

I would have been seriously intimidated about touching that roof :p. That seems to have been the problem, right? You get a fair amount of rain, humidity - all those unknowns in the Wild West and they dang near did that shed in!

Any chance of somehow ( :/ ), protecting that front with something? (Now, don't get too carried away with continuing constructions steps. Remember it is now a "nursery" and the most important things are those chicks. Penance for the loss of that Red Sexlink is nearly at 100%.)

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Certified chicken farmer. Now that's funny! Actually, not so certified. I went out this morning to find the chicks all huddled together tightly under the lights. They were very cold. The coop, as you could see is pretty big, and completely uninsulated, or was. It got down to 24 last night. So, as a remedy I went to our house next door and "borrowed" some carpet padding from the remodel. I hung it as a heavy duty blanket behind the brooder the reduce the size of the coop. I also took the insulation out of a bedroom ceiling (it was coming out anyway) and used it to insulate the front half of the coop. Finally, I moved the layers and their brooder into the coop along with their light. So now I have three brooders and three 250 watt lights in an insulated 8x10 area. I could feel the temperature rising almost immediately. I'll check them again tonight and add another heat lamp if I have too. I think 750 watts should be OK though. On a final chicken note, I lost one of the new CX. I figured it was going to die. When I brought them home I immediately did a butt check. All were clean, but that one had a gut? poop? ball hanging from the umbilical. I didn't mess with it, hoping it would resolve itself. I guess it did. Otherwise, all 43 remaining chicks are doing great! I haven't seen the slightest hint of pasty butt. Also, the older CX are beginning to cluck. Kind of suprised me actually.

Steve---The roof isn't as bad as it looks. I think this shed was factory built because the shingles are applied with wide staples. The overhang is just that, an overhang. I removed the 2x6 and pried the staples loose. When I put it back together, I tarred the 2x6 and toe nailed it back. I don't like the design and will change it once the weather decides it's really spring. The roof doesn't leak, so it will be fine for now. I will seal and paint the OSB, once again, as soon as the weather breaks. I also have to build a decent door, and trim it all out, but it is doing it's job for now. The chickens aren't complaining about the looks, but I did get an *** chewing about the heat ;) Hopefully my charges will be more comfortable tonight. It's not supposed to be as cold, so it can't be as bad as last night.

BTW, I'll never make up for killing that little chick. :(

Never forgive myself either.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
just keep your eyes open and watch that shed while the lights are on them. when you have those heat lamps they can become a fire hazard. we've lost a few homes in our area this time of year from people trying to heat coops when the chicks are in brooders in the sheds or garages close to the house.

and don't feel too bad about the little chickie. i've even done something similar to that. just last year after we moved one of my broody hens hatched a bunch of chicks. the 1st one i saw it later in the day after it hatched but for some reason i found it about a foot away from the moma. never thought about it, just put it back under moma to keep warm and finish drying off. went out the next day and didn't see the chick under moma and didn't see it around anywhere. the next thing i hear is a slight peeping coming from under the shavings in front of her pen. one of my peahens pulled it out from under moma and thrashed it. the worst part is while i was searching under moma i didn't realize the chick was under my knee or foot and i ended up pretty much crushing it. i grabbed it, ran it to the house to get it warm while it was passing away. :hit i thought it was going to live but with a beak that was nearly falling off i didn't have much hope and it passed after 30 minutes in the house.

after loosing 3 more chicks to those 2 peahens i will be protecting any moma hens and their broods better.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, you are a framer carpenter. I've seen you guys at it building. Stand back and don't offer to help unless he says toss me some more nails. There's the tape measure ssshhhlllooooooooop! back in, pencil out, square line pencil square back saw zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip plomp plam plam...plam plam...next board! I know, rebuilds, nothing's real square, this one's 15 three quarters, that one's 16 and a quarter, and this'll never be flush with that...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is awesome Monty!! Your chicks will be snug and warm in their new home. Right now I have 7 Silver Laced Wyandottes in a wire cage in the utility room. That makes a total of 27 now. BYC calls it chicken math. You know when you butcher the cornish x that you will have room for more layers.......jus' sayin' ;)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ya know Bay, that actually crossed my mind. I also thought about Ridgebackranches's new turkey post. I even mentioned it to DW. Probably not one of my better decisions. She was originally all for having chickens. She pictured 5 or 6 laying hens hanging out in the run, scratching and clucking away. Very Norman Rockwellish I think. I said, why don't we get a few meat birds and try those out too. That was OK by her.
So now I have 43 chickens and have spent about $500 in birds, feed, bedding, feeders, waterers, lamps, bulbs, and construction materials. Still, she's OK with that. She knows I can't do anything half way.

Well, I mentioned the turkeys, and how it would be nice to raise our own for Thanksgiving. The voices in her head said, Monty J, don't you dare! She calls me that sometimes, Monty J. She learned it from my sister and mother. They always call me that, and have for as long as I can remember. DW only uses it when she is less than pleased with my current behavior. I pretty much got the same response when I brought up the fact that the coop will be way to big for those hens after the CX are gone.

Good, she says, wall off the last four feet and put a door in the back wall. Then we will have somewhere to store the chicken stuff besides in the barn.

She's got me there. Smart woman she is. So, I think I'll stick with what I have for now. DW is a very good woman, but her patience with my activities only goes so far. :)

ChickieThe lamps are hung with steel wire. I'm not relying on the clamps they come with. If anything does go wrong, the coop is well away from any other buildings. Fire was one of my first concerns. I'm sorry to hear about your little chick. I had to climb into the brooders yesterday to insulate the ceiling. I shuffled my feet very slowly and had DW watch every move I made. Everyone came through without a scratch.

Marshall, I'm actually an electrician by trade. I've done a lot of framing though. I'm also a pretty good roofer, plumber and general handyman. My dear old Granny, rest her soul, used to say I was a jack of all trades. My little brother is the same way. It just comes naturally to us. He's a framing carpenter by trade.

Anyway, I went out to the coop this morning and found the chicks spread about their respective coops. No chicken piles under the lamps and the air was actually comfortable. I think the layers were having a contest to see who could touch the chicken wire lid on their brooder. Most actually can, I noticed.

Latest posts