Latest chicken adventure...very pic heavy...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty-Lay a piece of wood over the top of the brooder-it will contain the heat. Just do it at night and only cover less than half of the top. I would also check the temp a few times so they do not over heat.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yolkswagon! That's funny! I once used a broke down mini van as a greenhouse. DW was not impressed. She tolerates the redneck in me only so far, but I keep pushing the limits :p I have been watching the temps in the coop. It's staying pretty comfortable so far. The next few nights will tell with temps going down to the upper 20's again. I think they will be OK though. The older ones are feathering out some. Well, the older CX are trying to feather out, but they are growing so fast they have naked spots whre the feathers can't keep up. The layers are looking more like little chickens every day. The younger CX have strength in numbers. I think they set up a schedule or something. It's like they all get tired at the same time so they all just snuggle up together under the light and go to sleep. Then they all get up and start moving around the brooder.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh by the way, can't quite make it out...what was the grafitti on the inside of the old door?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes it was Marshall. The previous owners were dope heads and had 2 boys. The oldest was 13 and is destined to end up spending the majority of his life behind bars. When we bought the place, his bedroom walls were covered with drawings of pot leaves and funny mushrooms. He got mad at his mother once and took a baseball bat to his bedroom door and one of the walls. I have some pics of the damage. The little monster even cut a hole in the roof of his sisters bedroom so he could spy on her.