Learned Something New About My Stove

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Annette, you apparently have a smooth glass top range? Don't you just hate it for trying to simmer, heat up fast or reduce heat fast? And for retaining a constant temp? Mine is a real pain to use the pressure canner on. As you say, it is easier to clean. I guess that's most important for those people who don't cook much.
I long for a gas cook top.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a standard electric range that came with the house and when it finally went belly up dh ran the gas pipe over to the kitchen and we went with a gas (propane) stove. I like gas best for cooking. Mine has a continuous grate over all the burners which is handy for sliding pots from one burner to another. It also has a long oval burner in the center which heats a griddle up just great.
A large "quick boil" burner, and a small simmer burner complete the top.
And now I feel like a sales rep. :rolleyes:

My mom had a new glass top with the steam feature. She thought it was super spiffy. I think she cleaned the oven every time she used it. Haha.
When sis and I went down to prepare the house for sale I volunteered for the stove cleanup. It was no longer the sparkling unit my mom had kept because Slob Sibling had moved in shortly before my parents died and cooked for them. :\
I don't know how many times I steamed that thing, I lost count. It was so filthy :sick, but it didn't strike me as a real effective method.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Burned on muck that adds on for a period of time is hard to clean no matter what kind of cleaning system you have. I always wondered why in electric ovens, the heating elements are not removable, so you can clean easier. Maybe they are now. Mine is about 35 years old. (separate oven, not with cook top)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're right, and it would have been a challenge for any method. I've never seen such a mess. It qualified for Ripleys Believe it or Not. Dirtiest oven in shortest amount of time.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Annette, you apparently have a smooth glass top range? Don't you just hate it for trying to simmer, heat up fast or reduce heat fast? And for retaining a constant temp? Mine is a real pain to use the pressure canner on. As you say, it is easier to clean. I guess that's most important for those people who don't cook much.
I long for a gas cook top.

Retaining a constant temp, %$#&^%$, forgot that one, forget about making pancakes or welsh cakes with a glass top but I have a separate electric Jenn air grill beside my range so I use the griddle that came with it to make pancakes and welsh cakes. Can't say enough nice things about this little unit, DH bought the kit and built a cabinet for it back in the 70's. We've had to replace the plugin element a couple of times, in fact we just replaced this last week, other then that it's as good as the day we bought it.

As to gas, I won't have it in the house, there's been to many explosions up around our way. Blew the side of one house out, thank god no one was home at the time. Another one blew up, they didn't have gas but the line that went past them sprang a leak, the house was lower than the gas line, some how the gas found it's way into the house, kaboom! There's been more but can't think of the details at the moment.

We do have a propane unit I use outside for canning the water bath method (doesn't steam or heat the house up) . Never invested in a pressure cooker, I've never had a dishwasher either, that is other than myself:).

As to my self clean oven, I don't even try to get it spotless anymore, I get down on my knees and give it a good wipe out once a week, if it doesn't come off I don't sweat it, when it finally gets too ugly looking, out the door it goes. I'm going back to the basic without any of the bells and whistles.

Annette

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never had a dishwasher :th:th:th:th
When my dishwasher stopped working properly I had DH take it to the dump! I now have shelving in that space for big and heavy item that did not have a good place to store. I love it! As long as I do dishes every time they are used and not left to pile up it is fine. Holiday meaIs I always have plenty of help with cleanup. I think some of the most fun conversations have been around the sink! ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The folks had a glass top range, I hated it! I'm not crazy about our electric range either. I really think I would prefer as gas stove/oven. We do have self clean oven. I've only used it a few time. Boy does it get HOT and STINK. The big drawer under the oven IS Storage on mine. :)

Latest posts