Mannerisms

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would guess that 90% of that man-slamming was an otherwise focused guy not realizing that the nearest being wasn't planning to step aside.

Something about this gets my hackles up a bit... I guess, the idea that deep-down the 'focused' guy EXPECTS everyone to flow around him and so has no reason to even peripherally acknowledge the other person's presence enough to pickup their movement.
.. or maybe it's just that I haven't had lunch yet and I'm grumpy... I guess I should join all those women not getting high ranking jobs and say I'm sorry...

<~~~ needs a snickers

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
In Cal. Central Valley where the latino, black, hmong, and biker gangs run rampant, and bodies are found in the orchards and irrigtion ditches on a weekly basis . Just where does one place the teen/ twenty something dudes that dare you to not step asside when they are coming toward you ? I had quite a few occations where my wife and I crossed the street rather than go by them especially when it starts to get dark. :caf
Come on Bob. I'm from Fresno and still have all my family there. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. We go there quite frequently.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Scary! That's why I live in the South-est, central-est of Wisconsin. Have to go to Madison, Milwaukee, or (God forbid) Chicago at night to meet very many of those types.
Too True about Chicago! I grew up in suburban Chicago and they wear their attitude. Maybe it's because they look down upon anybody 100 miles west and south of the city. Champaign-Urbana is like "Little Chicago" since so many ex-Chicagoans have moved here. But the lack of manners doesn't fly here, so they give that up with the locals. Still, all of the other attitudes have crept in. They moved here to get away from Chicago, but they have turned the newer neighborhoods into the same suburbia, with all of the Homeowner Association caveats--can't do this, can't do that, we have to approve of your kid's swingset when you set it up, stuff like that.
They WILL remind you ("stupid locals") of where they came from, and that they still drive north to do their serious shopping.
I like to remind them that old Major Daley shipped the ghetto population to the 5 smaller mid-state cities, here, Springfield and the other three. The crime rate in this county quadrulpled because of this. DH didn't say much when I wanted to move 22 miles south to the country. He told me soon after the move that he was glad we did it. Our Champaign neighborhood was getting dangerous, and it wasn't when we move there in 1982.
Anybody that tries to tell you that Chicagoans are friendly is dreaming.
However, Chicago is on it's way to becoming Detroit.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come on Bob. I'm from Fresno and still have all my family there. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. We go there quite frequently.

Mary
You know Mary, Just one example ... Our son and his family lived in an apartment complex just ONE block from Fresno State while going to school. Last year, quite a few gang members started to move into the complex. His car was trashed twice with grafity and keyed all over. His wife and kids were told to move out by gang babes. Their apartment was brocken into twice and furniture,TV , his school computer, toys, and food stolen and other items strewn all over. Police were notified each time and nothing was done. They moved 5 miles away to a gated apartment complex last August. I can go on and on.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Such a shame that law abiding people live in fear while gangs run rampant. Shouldn't be the case at all. Not sure what the 'cure' is, but setting up no-go-zones for the police isn't the answer. People are still living there. They need and deserve protection.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We seem to have followed the path that would lead to keeping women off the sidewalks and men developing icy stares while not focusing on the near personal space ...

Rally to arms while banging elbows through the sea of humanity?

Ha! ha. I wonder what I would experience joining a teenager on visits to public performances and streetlife with a visit to his favorite restaurant. I seriously suspect that it would be more fun than anything else.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have heard wrong since I didn't hear it repeated later in the day, but if I heard right Chicago had its most dangerous day ever Tuesday. 60 killings and 400 people injured in shootings all in one 24 hour period.

That sounds more like a war zone than a city in the United States. I've been to Chicago many times. It's one of the closest "cultural" centers to South-est, central-est Wisconsin. NOT a place I want to visit right now. Somebody has to do something!

I suspect most of the killings and injuries were minority on minority crimes or the press would surely have made more of a fuss but there is nothing civilized about violence like that. My heart breaks.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, Red.

"Fabien was the 66th and final homicide victim last month, the deadliest May in Chicago since 1995 when 75 were slain, according to official Police Department records." Chicago Tribune, June 2, 2016

66 in a tragic month of 31 days and worst in 21 years, not in a single day

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't sure I'd heard the whole report. Thanks, Steve. Still that is far, far too many lost lives in today's America. Over two deaths a day and several of those children who happened to be in the wrong place.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was out early this morning and waiting at a red light to enter an arterial. At the crosswalk, a young woman just began to walk across against the do not walk sign.

She came so close to being hit but wasn't even looking in the direction of approaching traffic!. Obviously, she was in some sort of emotional distress. Maybe she had been using alcohol or some other drug. The "approaching traffic" was only one guy in a car. I didn't know if I should hide my eyes or stare. He had no excuse of not seeing her and no excuse for not slowing! A big girl with long strides she was still 3 steps from the curb when zipped behind her going at least 5mph over the speed limit.

Okay. She should not have been out there. He had a green light. If she had stopped or turned back, he probably would have had time to avoid hitting her! He could provide a good defense in a court of law if he had ...

What is wrong with his moral compass?!

I saw a bumper sticker on one of those monstrous, 4-wd pickups the other day. It seems like it had a phoney camouflage paint job but I was distracted reading the jerk's sticker: "kill your enemies and eat them."

Toxic crap.

Smart Red may have been confronted with that behavior from a deputy peace officer the other day. Confrontational much?
merry-wives-of-windsor-bardolph-pistol-nym.jpg
Why then the world's mine oyster
Which I with sword will open. ~ Pistol
The Merry Wives of Windsor, W. Shakespeare

Steve

Latest posts