My Dad

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, your Dad is happy doing what he does. It gives him a reason to get up in the mornings and keeps him busy. You might worry about him, but what would you do? Keep him inside and "safe"? Safe from what? Life? Death? You might worry about him over doing himself, but sitting inside waiting to die would be much, much worse. :hugs

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ditto baymule's reply.
My dad is 83, he snow blows or shovels his driveway, then he does the neighbor's driveway. My brothers go help him if it's a deep snow but he's not very happy about that. He usually calls to see if we need help.
He said if he sits down, he will die and he's not ready for that yet. Snow shoveling can be a risky activity for older people but it may be better than no activity at all.

My dad loves helping others, I know it is inevitable, but it's hard to even think of the day he can no longer do that.

I hope your dad has many more healthy years @Nyboy

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
A few years ago Dad bought himself an Electric start snow blower. On a snowy morning (Like 5 a.m.!) he would be out blowing snow from every sidewalk and driveway in a 2 block radius! We did not worry as much that he was pushing the snow blower as opposed to shoveling all that. Could you talk him into a snow blower? Dad's passing is felt by many. Especially the neighbors that are now shoveling their own walks.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think men are a little worse about giving up driving than women are. My Alzheimer's stricken dad valued driving around in the country as one of life's greatest pleasures. When I finally had to take his car away, after multiple wrecks and getting lost for a whole day, he called me a thief and a liar and threatened to have me arrested. Seeing him fade away was one of the most painful things I've been through.
Nyboy, you will be lucky if your dad leaves this world while happily shoveling snow.
:hugs

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It takes him 2 days to cut a small city lawn. Day one he cuts day two he edges. Day six start over.

That's exactly how my dad eventually did it. Now and then the (only) nice neighbor would ride his mower over and do their front yard, but it wouldn't fit through the gate so dad took those two days to mow the backyard.

Latest posts