New Old Truck work started

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
take a flashlight so you can easily spot things that just don't look right. i know you aren't all that savvy with engines but i'm sure you'd be asking some questions anyways when the owner is there or from your mechanic too.

the heat wall behind the engine and between the driver is another area to look for rust or signs of oil leaking. look for any oil that might be splattered on that back wall, that could be a sign the engine needs serious reworking. is this the original engine or does it have a replacement engine?

if you can look under the body that would be good to check too. with winters and the use of salt that can cause a lot of under body wear and tear but it causes a lot of rust too. you might want to see how easy it is to find parts for this model.

look at the bottom of the side panels to see if there is any unusual ripples. my dad always taught me to run my hand along the bottom to be sure everything felt smooth and not rippled. smooth either means they did a good job of any repair work or it hasn't needed a repair in the past. if anything is rippled it could mean bondo, if it starts to feels warm or plastic like to the touch it's bondo. cool feeling it is metal (which is preferred repair method). rippled could also signal that there is rust starting.

over all the pics look like it's in good shape.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
dad knows quite a bit. when i was a kid i remember working with dad on his 1958 Chris Craft Ski Boat. it had a Chevy small block 283 CC engine and i remember how that thing used to purr from the inboard motor. pain in the but to maintain the wood but it was a wonderful boat to putt around on the lake. dad took a lot of automotive courses through high school and worked as a teen on Honda motor cycles during the 60's into the 70's in the Boston area. when i was in high school i wanted to take some automotive classes but he kept trying to tell me that it was a lot of abusive work on the body and i wouldn't like it. so instead i took animal science. he taught me some stuff along the way. i know how to change out an alternator, mufflers, EGR valve, spark plugs & wires, and a few other things to be aware of. he's taught me how to maintain my tiller too.

back in 2005 he was able to get a '76 Goldwing (2nd year they made them) for about $450 at a yardsale. he fully stripped that down and found it had air shocks so added a sidecar. he now has a 2nd '76 he's planning on pulling the engine for parts but this one is the factory color and just needs some cleaning up. he also has an '81 Interstate Goldwing which was a barn find for $450, thing was in pieces which he was able to find all while going through the barn. he's also been asked to help out with other people's restoration projects. now that he's retired he's got a lot more time to tinker with projects.

pic of the Chris Craft just before dad sold it. it had seen much better days when it was on the lake during the 80's.

Attachments

• IM000130.JPG
    IM000130.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 181

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH your dad sounds like a great guy. My dad also a mechanic. Difference is he wanted me NO WHERE near them. Plus truth be told, I didn't want to learn.

Latest posts