OK, I Got the Dog

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My rot/lab cross is the best dog ever. Super well behaved. The only thing is that she HATES any small dogs....but cats don't bother her. We rescued her when she was a year old. Someone had left her in an abandoned house with a 5 gallon bucket of water and a ripped open bag of dog food. People confuse me :rolleyes:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of collar are you using ? I would get a choke collar to start, if still pulling on that move to a pinch collar.Many people don't like the look of a pinch collar and willn't use them,but they teach a dog real quick not to pull. Give him a few more days, he might just calm down on his own.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been reading up on training. This morning when I took her out, she didn't seem quite so insistent. And I just stood still, not letting her pull me, then when she slacked up, gave her a tiny treat and praised her. Nyboy, I have a regular nylon collar, understanding I may need to get something different. My son uses a pinch collar on his Dane/Dalmation mix, and that seems to work very well. Those no-pull halters---are they left on all the time, like a collar?
I was conflicted on putting her in her crate last night, as she was behaving so well in the house. Believe it or not, she went to the crate herself and went to sleep. I know she came in the bedroom at some point during the night, but didn't disturb me. This morning she was asleep in the crate. As she is right now, again! She snores.
I think she has dry skin/dermatitis on her back near her tail, as she is always trying to scratch it, and roll on the floor. Are there any people remedies that I might have on hand, or should I get something specifically for dogs?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not sure about the dermatitis but that's awesome she's sleeping so well through the night! And likes her crate. Congrats!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
People forget dogs are den dwelling animals , what you see as a crate she sees as a den. If she does have dry skin a medicated bath will be a big help. Right now fish oil is all the rage for dry skin. The old Italians would use olive oil ( both in food not rubbed on dog) for dry skin.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dogs all love their kennels. Come bed time they are all piled into one of the kennels, snoring away.

Did you by chance check her for fleas? If it is dry skin this is one thing, but 1 or 2 fleas can turn into 1,000-2,000 in no time flat. Better to be safe and have a looksie through the fur than sorry when you're trying to free yourself! ;-)

Latest posts