OK, I Got the Dog

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Supplements are cheaper online, but any medication needs your Vet's prescription, which you pay for, so I question whether you can get medication cheaper online. I can still buy tetanus antitoxin and most boosters for my horses online or at a farm supply store, after I sign for it at the register, but I cannot and have never been able to buy rabies for my horses or dogs withOUT a Vet's prescription.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Supplements are cheaper online, but any medication needs your Vet's prescription, which you pay for, so I question whether you can get medication cheaper online. I can still buy tetanus antitoxin and most boosters for my horses online or at a farm supply store, after I sign for it at the register, but I cannot and have never been able to buy rabies for my horses or dogs withOUT a Vet's prescription.

They do still have to prescribe. The company will fax your vet for you. They ask to make sure you did talk to your vet and get their approval first. Any med that needed an Rx had an online form to fill out accompanying it, while the supplements were just added directly to my "cart" first. My vet also never bothered to tell me that there are like four other generics for Rimadyl. That makes me mad. I just do not trust them anymore.

Revolution itself doesn't claim to help with ticks. I had assumed when my vet prescribed it that it did, since we were switching from Frontline. It does take care of heartworms and other worms, which is good I guess, but I don't really worry about heartworms for the cats and I'd prefer to deworm separately and only as needed since drug resistance can become an issue. My cats were still getting ticks with it and were bringing them into the house. That was when I realized it didn't work for ticks. If you're using Revolution, then you wouldn't want to double dose by using something else just for the ticks, so for me the ticks were more of a consideration. And fleas. Yuck.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Buying heart worm/ flea wormer at vet you are paying top dollar. I get all mine from mail order company's cutting out the middleman
Could you PM me the address for the company you get your heartworm/flea/wormer/ etc. supplies from? THANKS

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the thing with the rabies vaccination is that they also have to keep record of it by law, in case there is an issue with your dog, such as a bite. They couldn't keep track of all of that if individuals were administering it themselves. It has to be controlled by law since it used to be such an epidemic and is so horrible.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new dog! Sounds like your husband is already hooked.

I am using Trifexis which covers everything. With so many dogs (5) my vet has shown me how to appropriately split the pills so that it costs me less. I split a 40 lb pill in half for the two little dogs, and a 140 lb pill in half for the medium large dog, and then the other half into quarters for the two medium size dogs. I have a friend that buys his from England and gets it much cheaper although it takes longer to receive. I may look into that.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have also used KV Vet for Lucy's anti-seizure medications (which are expensive), and really liked them. They have tons of stuff too, dog beds, brushes, clippers. But I also comparison shop often when I go to buy it, and switch to different companies if they're cheaper - the prices change a lot.

Also - I was going to chime in about the vet's costs for medications. Yes, they're marked up a lot - but the vet I worked for also did lots of emergency procedures and ended up never getting paid. They've got a lot of expenses - they're an entire hospital rolled into one building - lab, imaging (we had ultrasound and xray), surgery (think about stocking for WHATEVER surgical procedure you might need, plus all the sterile processing, etc) and office visits. Oh, and stocking pet foods and meds. Its a lot of up front expense, and people sometimes can't afford to pay. What do you say to an owner whose dog needs emergency surgery and they tell you up front that they can't pay? Or they don't tell you and you just get stiffed. Anyway, I can see your frustration but there is another viewpoint. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in Indiana, you don't see a lot of rich vets. They aren't poor but most have HUGE debts to pay off. Student loans, dues, help, building, equipment, insurances, etc. some are expensive in cities but most aren't.

Latest posts