Olive propagating

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have several in the ground brown turkeys here in southern NY. I do cover them in mulch for winter. They made it though last winter, sometimes they die down to roots. My father also in NY had one in ground he never protected in winter. Tree made it though many winters, but died passed winter.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have several in the ground brown turkeys here in southern NY. I do cover them in mulch for winter. They made it though last winter, sometimes they die down to roots. My father also in NY had one in ground he never protected in winter. Tree made it though many winters, but died passed winter.

Thanks, that is good to know.
jackb

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, I would have to put olive oil in each of the fig's eye? That would have been too much work! By the way, what is the "eye"?

I love fresh figs with a good bleu cheese. It's funny but I only like the black ones. I don't like them in cookies and HATE Fig Newtons!

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary,
The eye is at the very bottom of the fig. If you cut one vertically in half you can see the opening at the center of the fig. Some varieties, not those in the states, need a fig wasp to deposit an egg inside the eye for pollination. What!!! You don't like Fig Newtons!! Oh Mary, you are a piece of work, everybody likes Fig Newtons. Theresa got a Martha Stewart recipe for a sandwich spread made of carmalized onions, goat cheese with herbs and figs. I did not think I would like it, but it was not bad at all. Not a big Martha Stewart fan.
Jack

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bobm, I was going to say no wonder we don't get along. But I get along with Jackb, so there goes my theory. Although after he called me a "piece of work", I'm not sure now. :plbb

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, Bobm is with the majority. Perhaps a straw poll on Fig Newtons is appropriate. Mary, I consider a "piece of work" something, or someone, unique, not necessarily a derogatory term. ;)
Jack

Latest posts