Olive propagating

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jackb, I had a Black Mission that was very healthy with good fruit production. The problem was that they never ripened. I guess our summers are just too cool. I took it down and replaced it with Violet de Bordeaux. I love it. The figs are delicious and the tree is great for small spaces.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Mary. I heard the same about the Violet De Bordeaux. They are ideal for containers. I was reading about the health benefits of figs, I guess you can eat the leaves also, but the idea is not all that appealing. I plan on growing them outdoors on the deck in the spring and summer, in the greenhouse in the fall, until they get their required cooling; then in the basement during the worst of the winter months. I guess I just love fooling Mother Nature.
jackb

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's a great try will be curious to see how this goes.

The figurines are too cool!!!!!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a coincidence, Trader Joe's had Black Mission figs on sale today, 2 pounds for $4.99, they looked really good so we bought some. This is the first time I have had a fresh fig and they do taste great. My previous experience with figs has been confined to cookies. I plan on trying the seeds and a cutting in tissue culture to see what happens. Ninnymary wrote that her Black Mission figs did not ripen, but I read that if you use a Q-tip and apply a little olive oil to the eye you can force the fig to ripen.
jackb

Last edited:

Latest posts