Olive propagating

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I agree with you ... crops, orchards and cattle / horse operations are North, South, East, and West of Fresno and can readily be seen right across the street of the City of Fresno boundary lines. A fruit processing plant that was outside city limits a couple years ago, now has houses rising out of it's former orchards all around it. Oh yea, Fresno State University farms' livestock, row crops and orchards are all within Fresno city limits. My ranch is just NE of Fresno with a housing development a mile away. My Equine Veterinarian's practice and horse breeding facility formerly at the edge of the city limits 5 years ago is now growing houses. A former chicken growing operation and a nearby turkey farm and their next door neighbor QH breeding operations have been gobbled up by houses. So I see your point of only seeing the view of highway driveing ... urban sprawl !

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I graduated from Fresno State back in 1978. It was nothing at that time. Now, I can hardly recognize it. I remember when I had to walk for what seemed like miles to get to the edge of it. River Park didn't exist back then. Neither did all those medical buildings. It has grown so much since I left. I kind of wish my daughter, who is a pediatric nurse would move down there. She would be able to afford a hugh house instead of the 2 bd, 1 bath she has now. If she did, I think we would retire down there to be close to the grandkids.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I graduated from Fresno State back in 1978. It was nothing at that time. Now, I can hardly recognize it. I remember when I had to walk for what seemed like miles to get to the edge of it. River Park didn't exist back then. Neither did all those medical buildings. It has grown so much since I left. I kind of wish my daughter, who is a pediatric nurse would move down there. She would be able to afford a hugh house instead of the 2 bd, 1 bath she has now. If she did, I think we would retire down there to be close to the grandkids.

Mary

Then you can sell your colorfull Victorian and buy that gaudy deep red, green and yellow farmhouse with an almond orchard on a country road near Madera and about 15 miles from Fresno for all cash.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought that as long as I was growing figs for Fig Newtons, that I might as well grow some coffee to wash down the cookies.;)
jackb

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep! Those are coffee plants. I recognize them from way out here in south-est, central-est Wisconsin. I tried growing coffee once. Like most of my plants, they didn't appreciate the stretches of neglect that come with being mine. Gotta be tough around here.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
All this talk about Fig Newtons reminds me of a quirky thing my father-in-law used to do. He was certain that eating Fig Newtons kept his bowels regular, so when he was in the Veterans' Home his last few years, he would make sure he always had some. He would snatch the available little packages of Fig Newtons from the snack tray (they were a hot commodity) and stash them in his cap that he always wore, leaving his hands free for the wheelchair. Then at odd times during the day, he would take his cap off, take a cookie out, unwrap it and eat it. Very odd to see an old man do that if you didn't know his habits.
It always reminded me of a scene from the past, when I spied a little boy who was developmentally challenged, I suppose....he came out of his house across the street wearing only a pair of short pants. He stood there on the porch, reached into the front of his pants and pulled out a slice of "baloney", which he proceeded to eat.
That has always stuck on my mind---frozen in time. I wonder where that little boy is now, 50 years later. Is he still pulling lunch meat out of his pants?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your father-in-law might be on to something. I have heard that eating two Fig Newtons a day is good at reducing the symptoms for people with Crohn's Disease.

Latest posts