Our Young People

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My kids school actually has a decent meal plan. of course the 'food' is institutional who knows what, but in general it does try to offer better vs. total junk.

Mine bags it. I send the good stuff :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This has been a very interesting topic! I think one aspect of this debate that hasnt been mentioned is "self control" - kids dont seem to HAVE to practice it, ever. Its true, its biologically harder for us to resist salty and sweet foods, since they give us that "endorphine rush." BUT we all need to come to the realization that you cant just give in every time your brain tells you you NEED those fries! Or potato oles...which i had last night...*sigh* (i needed them, you see? :lol: ) but its hard for kids to know, when they see adults eating that junk whenever they want, that they shouldnt have it for every meal. Again, teaching that is just a matter of parenting, as you all have discussed, at least just teach your children good life skills like patience and self control, and then they have the tools to help them make their own decisions!!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
lesa, When I was a child and we went to someones home for a meal, we ate everything we were served and did it w/ a smile and a thankyou or the consequences were not good!!!!! While home we ate what was prepared or we didn't eat until the next meal. We were only allowed snacks if we had eaten our food.
I raised my kids on that philosphy. However, there was a big reward the day we ate at a friend's and were served chicken livers on spaghetti noodles. One child even went for the gold by asking for seconds. Turns out the two boys had something of a dare-you contest going. :p

this same friend used to volunteer as an emergency foster care for the county. Five and ten year olds, knowing nothing but chicken nuggets and fries, had no idea what a vegetable even WAS. She stopped, couldn't take the heartbreak. I don't blame her a bit.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Self-control, Heather? This is a kid who used to sneak away from junior high to purchase forbidden Porky Puffs at the corner grocery :rolleyes:. Good thing I didn't have $ most of the time.

I was raised a 7th day Adventist, altho' that was an awfully long time ago. Teenagers show their independence in more ways than just their eating habits ;). Still, it strongly influenced my diet as a child and since. However, ours was a farm family and we ate a lot of meat. That has become fairly uncommon as American Adventists have become more urbanized and many, many are vegetarians.

My mother was a person who frequented the health food stores but she and her mother had worked at a upscale restaurant and had a taste for the foods you might find there. Dad was a farm kid but times were really tough for both these families. Mom says they didn't always have much food and Dad talks about harvesting alfalfa for "greens" in the spring and being happy with potatoes and gravy for dinner. That would be "milk gravy" if you are curious.

We probably ate a lot like Dad's family - meat and potatoes. Right - no pork. My Gosh, we had a lot of milk! That was wonderful for a kid, I suppose. Dad is obviously lactose intolerant and I seem to be now, also. Still, Dad refuses to even consider soy milk even tho' breakfast mush is an important part of his daily diet. A matter of frugality . . . which makes no sense to me since if you can't digest it and it causes problems . . .

'Bird, I wonder how your friend discovered chicken livers on spaghetti noodles :p. I think it was Burt Wolf who wrote about how important Italian immigrants were to the American diet and the acceptance of vegetables. Vegetables were viewed as poor food and all the emphasis was placed on meat, bread & potatoes before Italian people arrived here beginning about 1890. I guess my family never got the message. Altho', I can still remember when the first pizza place came to town and when spaghetti was something new & different in the kitchen. Both sides of my family were on the frontier. After scrambling up and down the Pacific coast, civilization darn near caught up to us ;).

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's hard to realize now but pasta was such a revolution in the American diet that people used to throw "Spaghetti parties" just as folks now have wine and cheese or fondue parties.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
This has been a very interesting topic! I think one aspect of this debate that hasnt been mentioned is "self control" - kids dont seem to HAVE to practice it, ever. Its true, its biologically harder for us to resist salty and sweet foods, since they give us that "endorphine rush." BUT we all need to come to the realization that you cant just give in every time your brain tells you you NEED those fries! Or potato oles...which i had last night...*sigh* (i needed them, you see? :lol: ) but its hard for kids to know, when they see adults eating that junk whenever they want, that they shouldnt have it for every meal. Again, teaching that is just a matter of parenting, as you all have discussed, at least just teach your children good life skills like patience and self control, and then they have the tools to help them make their own decisions!!
Just something that I have personally noticed and tagging off Heathers "self control" comments. I agree whole heartidly, however, I a had a revelation a few years ago that explained to me why people battle so hard with eating properly. Eating unhealthy, mostly sugary foods is an addiction type tendency for most. And there is sugar of some form in just about all commercially produced foods, even the ones that claim to be healthy. (I know this is not new, news to any of us) My point is, that any addiction is very difficult to break, however, a smoker does not "have" to smoke to stay alive, a alchoholic does not "have" to drink alcohol to stay alive, but someone who is addicted to "commercial, sugary food" does still have to eat to stay alive. I think that it makes it even harder for the population to get off the garbage food and on to the healthy food. It would be like a drug addict having to live in a crack house 24/7 and expecting them not to partake. (I appologize as any addiction is serious and I am not poking fun, just trying to make a point we can all see)

As has been mentioned, if you can read or have ears that hear, you know what food is good and what food is not once you are of a certain age. It is a choice. I just think that it is probably the most difficult habit, addiction, way of life, call it what you will, to change.

This probably didn't come across as eliquent as it is in my head and heart, but hopefully some get what I mean. I hope that we all can help make the change, by example and by touching the people that we see and eat with. It's not a problem that happened overnight and it isn't one that will be fixed overnight. But I really, honestly feel that by growing your own food, buying at farm stands or farmers markets, and other such things, we are helping move in the right direction.

Chickie2378

Leafing Out
Reaction score
with a 6 yr old I am teaching her 'moderation' NOW and truly making her understand. because it is also more than food in this life.
instant gratification can put you in debt, wanting to leap before you check the situation can get you into trouble and more. Just learn to truly know what this life is about. To me it is moderation. It is so easy to go overboard on anything in this life. It seems to all be available at your fingertips 24/7.

(which sometimes is great, most times not)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Funny you should mention this, right now. I had my two nephews among my Thanksgiving guests. Oh Boy! They will not try anything, they do not like anything! These kids don't eat potatoes! I am not going to get involved with a dispute with their parents, but OMG! I fear for the health of them and all the others who think "food" comes in packages with cartoon characters on them!
Wow, if you don't mind me saying so, that's pathetic! I've honestly never heard of someone (who isn't allergic) who doesn't like potatoes! I have a little rule about most foods: If I can't somehow grow it, or make it simply, I try not to get attached to eating it! This includes the 4 major food groups that are common today:

- Food-Colouring
- Meto-ketone-flouro-phosphate (random chemicals, to create flavours that don't already exist)
- Salt (for obvious reasons)
- Literally brain-damaging sugar-like minerals
(also know as cerebral-distortion-in-a-can)

Back when the world fed people real food, the 4 major food groups were:

-Meat (which, in a way, includes eggs and milk, because these things have similar qualities)
-Veggies
-Fruit
-Grains

I wish there was less emphesis on shelf-life and more emphesis on quality and health.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is pathetic, Detlor, and I don't mind you saying it!! I feel very badly about it, but they live far away - and there is very little I can do. However, when they do visit, we always spend time in the garden and they do show an interest in that. Maybe I am planting a seed, that will just take a long time to grow?? Now one of the boys has been diagnosed with celiac (gluten free diet) and he can't even eat what he does like! Letting mealtime become a battle ground, is such a bad idea. You are guaranteed an argument 3 times a day! What I served for dinner, was what was for dinner- and it never occurred to my daughter to think otherwise. Building a strong, healthy body at a young age, seems so important to me. Perhaps, one of the biggest and most important parts of parenting... but my SIL doesn't agree.