Phaedra's Adventure

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Phaedra, thank you so much for sharing these!! I am going to try and make a lemon roll cake, using a chiffon style cake. If rolling is successful, I'll try that rainbow cake again. I'm so grateful to you for sharing your baking. It's really helping me learn!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Phaedra, thank you so much for sharing these!! I am going to try and make a lemon roll cake, using a chiffon style cake. If rolling is successful, I'll try that rainbow cake again. I'm so grateful to you for sharing your baking. It's really helping me learn!
You are welcome, and I'm glad to be helpful.

Some other suggestions:
1. Keep the filling simple for the first few trials - you can apply a layer of cream cheese with some lemon zest, and then another layer of jam. Such simple filling is helpful to roll the cake without too much trouble. When you are more familiar with the rolling, you can try more challenging options like whipped cream and fruits.

2. The Meringue, baking time, and baking temperature are three keys for the final product. But don't be discouraged if the first few rolls are not very satisfying. You might need some trials to figure out the balance among the three keys. If the cake roll breaks, it's still a lovely treat for the family, just adding a bit icing on the surface - they will love it.

3. By the way, it might be an idea to make a rainbow layer cake instead of a cake roll. Then you have sufficient time to prepare each layer, and the wow effect should be still pretty good.

Feel free to ask if you have doubts or questions. I am also traveling in the baking universe and learning. :D

Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I was little my mom would make chocolate Swiss rolls filled with whipped cream, and sponge cake ones filled with raspberry jam. They were each very good. Her technique started by lining the jelly roll pan with waxed paper or used butter wrappers; I think parchment may even be a better choice, but we didn't have that 50 years ago. Then she poured in the airy batter, spread it around, and baked the cake. The recipe had a very short baking time, since it was such a flat cake. Once it was done she would place a tea towel on the counter, sprinkle the towel liberally with granulated sugar, and then tip the finished cake onto the tea towel. Then she would immediately (and carefully!) peel off the waxed paper and roll up the towel along with the cake. After an hour or so when it had cooled completely she would gently unroll the towel, fill the cake (which will be a bit bendy, and not totally flat), roll it the cake up, and then wrap the finished product in waxed paper. Those were the good old days. 😍

Attachments

• IMG_20240204_163937952.jpg
    IMG_20240204_163937952.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240204_163753296.jpg
    IMG_20240204_163753296.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240204_162436563.jpg
    IMG_20240204_162436563.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are welcome, and I'm glad to be helpful.

Some other suggestions:
1. Keep the filling simple for the first few trials - you can apply a layer of cream cheese with some lemon zest, and then another layer of jam. Such simple filling is helpful to roll the cake without too much trouble. When you are more familiar with the rolling, you can try more challenging options like whipped cream and fruits.

2. The Meringue, baking time, and baking temperature are three keys for the final product. But don't be discouraged if the first few rolls are not very satisfying. You might need some trials to figure out the balance among the three keys. If the cake roll breaks, it's still a lovely treat for the family, just adding a bit icing on the surface - they will love it.

3. By the way, it might be an idea to make a rainbow layer cake instead of a cake roll. Then you have sufficient time to prepare each layer, and the wow effect should be still pretty good.

Feel free to ask if you have doubts or questions. I am also traveling in the baking universe and learning. :D

Well...chiffon cake did not go so well. It baked up very nicely in the oven, but during the cooling phase it seemed to deflate a little. Not enough to be a problem, but definitely noticeable. More problematically, it stuck to the parchment paper and broke apart in my efforts to get it off.

My husband also noticed a few areas where it looked like there was more egg white, not sure how to balance "Don't stir all the bubbles out" with "Mix it enough to be a proper cake."

Any thoughts?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well...chiffon cake did not go so well. It baked up very nicely in the oven, but during the cooling phase it seemed to deflate a little. Not enough to be a problem, but definitely noticeable. More problematically, it stuck to the parchment paper and broke apart in my efforts to get it off.

My husband also noticed a few areas where it looked like there was more egg white, not sure how to balance "Don't stir all the bubbles out" with "Mix it enough to be a proper cake."

Any thoughts?
I am working on a step-by-step explaination while making another rolls. Please wait for some hours. :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Any thoughts?

spray or grease the parchment paper?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Okay, let me try to elaborate with photos and some description. Please note that my wording might not be precise enough.

For most of the desserts that need Meringue for being the structural support, it's always critical to keep as many air bubbles as possible. I guess, that's why we were always told to "keep the container for Meringue free from egg yolk/oil".

So for me, below preparations can maintain as more bubbles as possible:
1. Ensure everything is 'Mise on place (putting in place)' - ingredients, tools, and a pre-heated oven. For the ingredients, they need to be weighted, sieved (powder like flour, corn starch, powder sugar, cacao powder, etc); for tools, they need to be gathered and arranged (like the parchment paper in the baking tray).

The better the preparation is, the quicker the finished batter can be sent into the pre-heated oven - this will save a lot of bubbles.
16129.jpg

2. Generally, you will need to prepare Meringue - egg white, sugar, lemon juice (not 100% necessary for me). Meringue is a tricky thing itself and needs practices. From the practices we observe and learn what is the right status we need for different desserts. When it's not fully beaten, it can't support the structure properly; when it's over-beaten, it might cause the deformation and cracks. For chiffon cake, I usually beat the egg white until such status.
16130.jpg

3. Generally, you need to prepare (A) egg yolk + vegetable oil + milk + flour and (B) Meringue. I will always prepare (A) first, as nothing can go wrong (flour has to be sieved, don't heat up milk too much). 80% of the "Mix it enough to be a proper cake" should be done here.

After (A) is done, you can start prepare (B), because (B) needs more attention. Also, you don't want to prepare (B) first and let it sit and wait for (A) - air bubbles will disappear, too.

(B) usually won't take too long - 1 minutes low speed until large bubbles appear --> add 1/3 sugar and turn to high speed --> for another 1/3 sugar --> the rest 1/3 sugar

Now you have (A) and (B), your baking tray is ready, and the oven is also pre-heated to the needed temperature.

Let's start mixing. As we mentioned in the beginning, the bubbles in the Meringue don't like oil. Compared with the very light Meringue, (A) is very oily and sticky. If you dump (A) directly into Meringue --
- air bubbles will disappear in a terribly quick speed
- it's more difficult to properly mix them

4. So, an extra "tempering" step will help - get 1/3 Meringue into (A) and mix them properly. This 1/3 Meringue will loss more air bubbles, but meanwhile, it can make the texture of (A) much lighter and easier to mix with the rest of Meringue.
16131.jpg

5. After the 1/3 Meringue is well mixed with (A), you can now put (A) into the rest of Meringue. Now, it's the last 20% of "Mix it enough to be a proper cake" - the key is to ensure the bottom part has to be thoroughly mixed, too.

As we already do a lot of efforts to keep as more air bubble as we can, you don't need to worry too much in this step. Usually, the final mixing should be properly done within 1 minute.
(Upper photo: after 1/3 Meringue is mixed with (A) / Lower photo: after (A) is mixed with the rest of Meringue)
16132.jpg

6. The batter is done and ready to be filled into the baking tray. You can use a little oil on the tray to "fix" the parchment paper. Ideally, the batter should be thick enough but still able to naturally flow (not runny) to the corners when you slightly shake the tray. If it's not that easy to flow, you can use a spatula or a dough cutter to adjust and flatten the batter. Then, just send the tray to the pre-heated oven.
16133.jpg

7. The baked cake has to be cooled down soon. You can hold the parchment paper and let the cake sit on a cooling rack. As you see, my cake cracks a bit, too. I am experimenting how much greentea powder I can add into my batter. It doesn't have to be perfect. Here you can also see that my cake is pretty thin, might be just half inch. The thickness will affect the baking time and temperature, and this is something you will need some experiments.
16134.jpg

8. The cake won't take long to cool down, and 10 minutes should be sufficient. Now, you will need to cover the cake with another parchment paper or silicon baking matt, turn the cake upside down, and peel the parchment paper underneath the cake. If the cake is well bake, you should be able to peel the paper and get a very clean, towel like surface.

9. Then, put the peeled parchment paper back, and turn the cake back. You can slight cut on the end you will start rolling - it helps.
16135.jpg

10. After adding the filling you want, it's time to roll the cake. When you use a larger piece of parchment paper, you can grab both ends and force the cake to roll. The above pre-cuts will give you a good start.
16136.jpg

Keep using the two ends of parchment paper to roll.
16144.jpg

Ensure the edge is at the bottom.
16146.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
(Continued)

11. After confirming that the edge is in the bottom, you can use a ruler or dough cutter/scraper to tighten the roll as a rounder shape. You may need to find a video to see it clearly.
16145.jpg

12. Close both ends and sent it to the fridge for one hour to set.
16147.jpg

After it's set, you can cut both ends for a tidier final presentation (and enjoy it first).
16137.jpg

13. If the surface is not perfect, you can use any kind of icing, cream, or sugar/cacao powder to decorate it.
16148.jpg

That's it. The rest needs practices, observations, and adjustments. It's not too far from gardening - those ingredients are seeds, and with the help of tools, temperature, and time, they 'grow' into a cake. Sometimes, the harvest is surprisingly wonderful, and sometimes, we learn what to improve in the next runs.

My two rolls today - most of them are either already shared with neighbors, or ready to be shared with DH's colleagues and my FIL tomorrow.

16143.jpg

16142.jpg

Simple or sophisticated, all good
16141.jpg