Phaedra's Adventure

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
(Continued)

11. After confirming that the edge is in the bottom, you can use a ruler or dough cutter/scraper to tighten the roll as a rounder shape. You may need to find a video to see it clearly. View attachment 63722

12. Close both ends and sent it to the fridge for one hour to set.View attachment 63723
After it's set, you can cut both ends for a tidier final presentation (and enjoy it first).
View attachment 63724

13. If the surface is not perfect, you can use any kind of icing, cream, or sugar/cacao powder to decorate it.
View attachment 63725

That's it. The rest needs practices, observations, and adjustments. It's not too far from gardening - those ingredients are seeds, and with the help of tools, temperature, and time, they 'grow' into a cake. Sometimes, the harvest is surprisingly wonderful, and sometimes, we learn what to improve in the next runs.

My two rolls today - most of them are either already shared with neighbors, or ready to be shared with DH's colleagues and my FIL tomorrow.

View attachment 63726
View attachment 63727

Simple or sophisticated, all good
View attachment 63728
Fabulous tutorial! That ginger cake roll with the apple bits looks so delicious!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Looking at your egg whites, I don't think I beat mine enough. The instructions I had said to beat them until medium peaks formed, and that I'd know because they would make a peak, but then fall over half way. Since I'd never done it before I didn't have a visual reference of what it might look like, but it certainly looked much softer than that!

I'm going to try again soon! Thank you so much for these wonderful, clear instructions!!

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Looking at your egg whites, I don't think I beat mine enough. The instructions I had said to beat them until medium peaks formed, and that I'd know because they would make a peak, but then fall over half way. Since I'd never done it before I didn't have a visual reference of what it might look like, but it certainly looked much softer than that!

I'm going to try again soon! Thank you so much for these wonderful, clear instructions!!
Anytime.

You can take below steps as a reference for preparing Meringue for chiffon cakes, or sponge cakes that call for similar method:

1. Low speed 1 minute to form the large bubbles.
2. Add 1/3 sugar, turn to high speed until the color changes (into white)
3. Add 1/3 sugar, keep high speed for another 30 sec
4. Add the last 1/3 sugar, keep high speed, and watch out when the beating creates marks on the surface
5. Stop and check the peak status, when it is a short peak and can stand well even you turn it up side down and not fall over, it's enough
6. Low speed 30 secs to homogenize the bubbles (high speed usually causes uneven bubbles.)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After a lot of efforts in these few days, the greenhouse is clean, bright, and fully ready for 2024 growing season now.
16150.jpg

DH helps a lot to clean the higher parts, my hero!
16149.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your greenhouse looks sparkling clean and beautiful. You and your DH make a good team!

WOW! And WOW! On the rolls cake tutorial! I doubt that I will ever try to make one, but if I ever feel that adventurous, I’ll have the BEST teacher! How kind of you to share and be so helpful to @AMKuska . You are a treasure and we all benefit from your presence here on TEG.

With the magic of the internet, I can sit in my living room in East Texas and travel to Germany and share in your shopping trips, the masterpieces of food you create, your garden, chickens, quail, dogs and your family. Thank you for your generous heart.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@AMKuska , I have Never made a cake roll.
I Have made lots of pies with meringue.
You might want to make a lemon meringue pie to practice your meringue making skills.
Perhaps a cocoanut meringue pie, instead?
@Phaedra is right about keeping the egg yolk OUT of the meringue. A little bit of egg yolk can spoil it.
It is true, so much is in the preparation.
I suggested a lemon meringue pie bc you use the yolks in the filling, and the whites for the topping, so no waste.
ALSO, My mistakes are always in rushing!
I suggest that you have several bowls:
1) egg whites, this is your bowl for your mixer
2) egg yolks
3) for every egg WHITE that you separate, and when it is separated correctly it goes into bowl #1
4) for any mistakes, which would go to Eva at my house
5) clean bowl, if you get any yolk in bowl#3
It is Very easy to break the yolk! You are in good company if you do.
Here is for the lurkers:
"The fat in the egg yolk (or any oil) will interfere with the egg white's ability to whip up properly."

Last edited:

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You might want to make a lemon meringue pie to practice your meringue making skills.
@Phaedra is right about keeping the egg yolk OUT of the meringue. A little bit of egg yolk can spoil it.
I suggested a lemon meringue pie bc you use the yolks in the filling, and the whites for the topping, so no waste.
2) egg yolks
3) for every egg WHITE that you separate, and when it is separated correctly it goes into bowl #1
Here is for the lurkers:
"The fat in the egg yolk (or any oil) will interfere with the egg white's ability to whip up properly."
I got a stainless separator and no more trouble from that moment. ✌️
The separator sits on the mixer bowl - egg whites directly go into the bowl, and then I can put egg yolks into another bowl to mix with butter, flours, and etc.
617r0HCyzBL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your greenhouse looks sparkling clean and beautiful. You and your DH make a good team!

WOW! And WOW! On the rolls cake tutorial! I doubt that I will ever try to make one, but if I ever feel that adventurous, I’ll have the BEST teacher! How kind of you to share and be so helpful to @AMKuska . You are a treasure and we all benefit from your presence here on TEG.

With the magic of the internet, I can sit in my living room in East Texas and travel to Germany and share in your shopping trips, the masterpieces of food you create, your garden, chickens, quail, dogs and your family. Thank you for your generous heart.
Thanks Bay, you are so kind. The pleasure is mine to share what I learned along the way, from other people's journey. How lonely I will be if I have no one to share all these lovely things? :love

Hopefully the flood won't cause further troubles in your area. I always get nervous now when it rains non-stop. What happened in 2021 July is such a nightmare - a small creek turned into a 4-Meter high monster.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
2) egg yolks
Here is for the lurkers:
Thank you for the tips! The recipe I was using mentioned the dangers of yolk in the white also, so I had a three bowl system. I didn't break any yolks though--this time!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a stainless separator and no more trouble from that moment. ✌️
The separator sits on the mixer bowl - egg whites directly go into the bowl, and then I can put egg yolks into another bowl to mix with butter, flours, and etc.
View attachment 63757
Oh, this brings back memories! My mom had one! Maybe if I do this regularly I'll get one too.

Latest posts