Phaedra's Adventure

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don’t have a garden yet, so I truly enjoy your posts and pictures. I have a lot to do before I can put in a garden. I need to get back on tearing down those old chicken coops. So far, I’ve been mining them for materials to build something else with. LOL

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Everyday, new leaves are emerging everywhere. It's just the time of a year that is so full of life.

One of the Silverberries that I bought two years ago - it's good that all of them survive and show good momentum to grow. They are still tiny, but I can't help myself imagining that they become nice understory plants and contribute to the small eco-system in the garden.
16571.jpg

A lilac I transplanted from a large basal shoot - I got two shoots from the lilac growing among the hedge. I don't know why and how it can survive there (it has to compete with hedge for water and has very poor light), but it must have been there before we moved in. Both rooted basal shoots successfully overwinter after transplanting last summer.
16578.jpg

The cherry blossom I planted three years ago - this year, there are so so so many flower buds!
16582.jpg

The perennial flower bed - catnip and mums are growing again
I will do some weeding next week and add another layer of homemade compost. The layer I added last autumn did a good protection job. Foxgloves, Echinacea, sage, wild blueberry, and etc are all awake and growing.
16575.jpg

Sedum - the divided clumps are growing now in multiple spots - small or large, they all come back and will show their beauty and strength from this growing season.
16573.jpg

Delphinium (3 year old) - I relocated it under the cherry blossom for some extra protection. Next spring, I will get some shoots from it again for new plants.
16585.jpg

@Alasgun Those tiny plants also successfully overwintered, and they are growing again quickly, much quicker than I imagine!
16574.jpg

Overwintered pansies - I guess, this is the variety of dark purple flowers - I grew from seeds last spring.
16569.jpg

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honeywort, I sow it in early autumn to check the vitality of the home saved seeds. The germination went well, and I kept one for further experiments. It stayed in the greenhouse and suddenly grew as the temperature increased two weeks ago. I have a gut feeling that it wants to flower soon.
16581_0.jpg

I've pruned it twice already, and this is the 3rd time.
16584_0.jpg

Roots are growing alone the winter under protection.
16593.jpg

I changed it into another bigger pot, with more compost and a bit of fertilizer.
16595.jpg

Patience you must have, my young Padawan. - One Lisianthus (pruned and overwintered), three young purple asparagus crowns (already growing), one I forgot what bulb, and the repotted honeywort - all changed into bigger pots and will keep staying underroof.
16594.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I took a page out of your book, and planted store bought green onions that the tops had gone bad in the refrigerator. Some garlic had sprouted, so I planted that too. I used those black tubs I used last year.
My seeds are all old, like 2017-2020. So for giggles and grins I planted an entire packet of radish seeds, 2 packets of carrots, one tub of sprouted potatoes and a packet of purple pak choy.

Yesterday I grazed the sheep in the yard. Naturally they checked out the tubs and bit the tops off the garlic and pulled up onions. Must have tasted bad, the sheep didn’t eat them. I stuck them back in the dirt.

But, I have tiny green radish and pak choy sprouts! I didn’t expect ANY seeds to grow, so I’m pleasantly surprised.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I took a page out of your book, and planted store bought green onions that the tops had gone bad in the refrigerator. Some garlic had sprouted, so I planted that too. I used those black tubs I used last year.
My seeds are all old, like 2017-2020. So for giggles and grins I planted an entire packet of radish seeds, 2 packets of carrots, one tub of sprouted potatoes and a packet of purple pak choy.

Yesterday I grazed the sheep in the yard. Naturally they checked out the tubs and bit the tops off the garlic and pulled up onions. Must have tasted bad, the sheep didn’t eat them. I stuck them back in the dirt.

But, I have tiny green radish and pak choy sprouts! I didn’t expect ANY seeds to grow, so I’m pleasantly surprised.
I did the same - the old seeds or whatever I don't want to sow seriously any longer, I put them all in one container and sprinkle them somewhere in the garden. Well, there are aways some corners for the wildlife, and I also have no energy to take good care of those corners. The good thing is, eventually there will be some surprises.

Garlic and onion - I guess animals have no love for the smell, my hens have no love for them, either.

Would you protect those sprouts or those will be the bonus treat for the sheep? :D

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
One thing I really enjoy along the way: reduce as much food waste as possible

Yesterday, I processed a salmon trout and a chicken. All the trimmings, fish head, tails, and bones were sent to the grinder and became a kind of paste in two minutes.
16645.jpg

16646.jpg

This morning, I steamed the paste and got a decent protein and calcium supplement for dogs, hens, and quails. The steamed "meat loaf" has a loose and fine texture, pretty safe for the animals. Besides, the soup underneath also looks great.
16644.jpg

I have some leftover carrot and apple (after making juice) in the fridge, so I used them to make some food for two dogs first.
16643.jpg

16642.jpg

The rest goodies went to the hens and quails, mostly to the hens. Our cats only eat raw, so they will enjoy some soup as well.
16641.jpg

16640.jpg

Bobo and Momo have their gourmet brunch, too. Very safe and nutritious for all of them - it's worthy to collect and do the grinding once per week.
16652.jpg

16651.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I cook chicken and rice to add to my dogs kibble. Right now I’m feeding them sausage and gravy over their kibble. Then I’ll fix something else.

I’ll fence off my garden tubs to keep the sheep from destroying it. They yell at me to let them back in the yard. When it needs mowing again, I’ll do that. LOL

Looks like my purple book choy and radishes are coming up! I’m excited! I need a garden so bad, just refuse to do all that work, then move it somewhere else.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Rainy day (not surprise) again, but I want to do something in the garden, or I should say, I want to be in the garden.

One of my goals this year is to keep only a necessary amount of seedlings in the greenhouse - energy saving is one thing, and using space/time properly is another. So far, less than 50% growing lights are working. After I transplanted peas, onions and shallots (from sets), and the second batch of garlics which stayed in the greenhouse to the hoop tunnel today, I can turn off more growing light until next seeds germinate.

Later this week, more leafy green seedlings will leave the greenhouse and report to the hoop tunnel, and I will sow more brassicas, more peas (for shoots), and flowers then. Peppers were sowed last week, eggplants and tomatoes are scheduled two to three weeks later.
16653.jpg

Meanwhile, I start checking tubers and bulbs from Calla Lilies, Dahlias, and Gladiolas for the pre-sprouting. We have longer days now, but the warmth is still missing. Instead of sowing more, I will do more preparations this year.

Latest posts