Planted potatoes in my basement today

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought some potatoes at the farmers market that were starting to grow and planted them in a feed bag :watering

I am hoping tp get a head start!any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
:tools

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is your weather like right now? Still freezing at night? If not, I would try a few in the ground, just as an experiment...Good luck with your basement potatoes! Keep us posted.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Potatoes can take a light freeze. Try some outside. I am in zone 5 and have many come back from potatoes that i missed from the year before. I actually have often thought of planting them in October to see what happens. They then grow the moment the temperature is right. Haven't tried it but the leftovers are always the first ones ready to eat.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good point, Cat... I am in zone 4 and had tons of fingerlings come up in the spring. Who knew I missed so many? I thought they were very familiar looking weeds!

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You are going to need some light once they sprout. My basement is very dark, but the temp should be just right. How deep did you plant them and do they have room to spread out. Are you planning on a transplant. I don't think potatoes do well in transplant. I'd put them in the ground.

I have had potatoes come up from previous years. Actually I got my potatoes in REALLY late last year and they didn't come up at all.
All of those potatoes are still in my garden and my hills are still nice. I've got my fingers crossed they come up this spring.

It's been so mild here this year I really think they will. It was a lot of work making 4 50ft long hills so I hope it will pay off even if it's a year late.

mommahen, it may have been chicken feed bags, there are lots of uses for empty feed bags and gardening with them is one.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just so you know, I took the risk and planted my sprouted potatoes out in the garden in the other day. I surprised myself by giving them their own raised bed. I was shocked with myself since I usually use buckets. Fingers crossed that it works, as its really way earlier then I normally would.

Latest posts