Planted potatoes in my basement today

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good luck with your potatoes and asparagus!! Planning on digging some asparagus roots at my sister's garden. Thinking if I get them out early, they might bear by spring. At least that's what I read at another gardening forum. It's been 10-15 years since I grew asparagus and gave up gardening for a few years and lost it all. :tools

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
omar1818, I think potatoes are one of those foods that they cannot prevent from growing. MINE were from a bag from the grocery store. Mine are still growing, but I have NO IDEA if I'm going to get new potatoes from them or not. IF I do, I will repeat this next winter. The upkeep takes so little of my time that it's a fun experiment. :D

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Added my first row of soil to my potato plants they seem to be very happy! unrolled my bags about 4 inches to cover the stems! I hope to have potatoes by May or June!!! planted some in the ground, and started my Broccoli, green onions, asparagus, and lettuce bed!! :bee
:ya

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the potatoe tops got hit byt he frost! I think things will be ok. put them in last night and Hope the plants I put put out in the gardens survive!
best of luck

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Harvested my potatoes which, if you recall, I planted inside in February. The pot was moved from the porch to my (yet unplanted) pumpkin bed.

May142012pictures011.jpg

May142012pictures012.jpg

May142012pictures013.jpg

May142012pictures014.jpg

May142012pictures015.jpg

It was a little paltry bc the garden soil got compacted. NEXT time, I'll used soil mixed with mulch. I AM growing potatoes inside this next winter. It was a fun experiment, anyway. :D

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice!!! I have filled all the sacks and the plants continue to grow! I am dying to open one of the bags to see what if anything I get!!! I have several volunteer plants in my compost, and hilled them up today! they tower that I am building as the plants grow is now about, 4 feet tall to stop at 6 ft but I have something eating the plants and may have to stop earlier. I would let my girls go in there but they trample the plants! AUGH!
I will post photos as soon as I open one of the bags! EXCITED:clap

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Totally excited about my potatoes, Dumped the bags because my chickens have decided they want to nest in them! Bright red beautiful potatoes came out. no photos, broke the phone.
I got 8 potatoes filled both my hands over. planted my left over roots, and greenery that wasn't quite gone in the compost and hope my girls won't did them up.
this is the same size bag that I dumped out a few weeks ago and good results there also!!! i will also be growing potatoes in my basement this winter!!
:woot:love

Latest posts