Planted potatoes in my basement today

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I just planted 4 potatoes in a 15 gallon nursery container. I took the idea from vfem. Vfem, I hope I get more than from a 5 gallon bucket! ;)

Mary

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Very excited the sprouts show a little they are doing great I used 2 plastic feed bags. I only put 4-5 inches in the bottom they are in bright light and my husband takes them outside during the day. first Potatoes ever!!!:tools

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Don't know but I have three 8" potato sprouts growing in MY basement. I even pulled two of them off of the potato when separating them, so they are growing only on their 5" roots. I have mine in plastic pots that I saved from buying fruit trees. I'm thinking we'll all have potatoes by May. Good luck with yours. :D
I'll take some pictures this weekend and post.

ijon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have potatoes that came up the last three years. I must miss some small ones every year. its like a suprise.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Saw an idea in farmers almanac about planting taters in stacked tires... start with one buried shallow then keep piling on straw.... going to try it. Supposedly the tires hold heat and they are really easy to harvest.... just cut away the tires. Anyone ever tried this?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I downloaded some pictures of my indoor potatoes. The first ones are from about 3 weeks ago. I buried the rooting of 2 potatoes in a small pot with garden soil.
IndoorPlantingFebruary152012001.jpg

After they sprouted I stuck them in a north-facing window for a week, but they got too tall, so I decided to repot bigger and put in the south facing window of my basement.
IndoorPlantingFebruary152012018.jpg
IndoorPlantingFebruary152012017.jpg

I repotted in 2 pots that I saved from fruit tree purchases, and I wrapped black garbage bags with pull ties around them to help shadow the roots. Note that I buried 3 inches of their stems and they're taking off! Here they are in their new spot.
IndoorPlantingFebruary152012019.jpg

BTW, these were taken with my Christmas present, a Nikon COOLPIX S6200. I am now a snapping picture fool!! tee, hee
Btw, the white building isn't my neighbor's house, it's my garage.

omar818

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm impressed you found space to plant potatoes. Where did you get your potato "seeds"? I heard you need special potatoes because the ones at the grocery store are sprayed with a coating to keep them from growing eyes.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I bought potatoes at the vegetable stand in town they were already sprouting when I bought them I cut them and let the cut dry some then planted them they are really taking off!!! I have 4 inch sprouts on my potatoes and started a Potato tower in the back yard!!! I have covered it with plastic to keep it warm and the feed bags in the basement are doing really great and they don't get as much sun.
Loving the first time at potatoes! Broccoli watermelon all sprouting :watering

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Vfem, I also took a risk and planted by potatoes in the ground today. We really haven't had a "winter" with very mild temps...hoping for the best here in zone 7. Onion plants put in today as well. Good luck gardeners! Let the season begin :tools

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I planted asparagus and Potatoes outside it got wet cold and. . . the yard is covered in SNOW!!! well I am hoping things will be ok!
covered the potatoes that are already growing and pray for the best! Good luck with each of your gardens!!
:throw

Latest posts